Chawki

Chawki

I’m a beginner. After learning Elixir and Phoenix, what should I learn? Postgresql or Graphql

Showing Posts 1 to 8

sanswork

sanswork

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you have any ideas of what you want to accomplish? Learning something is easier with a goal.

Chawki

Chawki OP

Nothing but learning,what is easy and best to start first?

sanswork

sanswork

They both can be easy but have depth and if you have no goal it really doesn’t matter which you learn first.

Chawki

Chawki OP

yeah i have goal,to build a web chat app.

sanswork

sanswork

Well you won’t actually need to know either for that if you are using phoenix. So I’d suggest you flip a coin and start with which ever one that chooses. :slight_smile:

Eiji

Eiji

I’m not sure if you know all about phoenix. Make sure you know how to use Channel API (for WebSockets), because it’s definitely better option than XHR requests.

Make sure writing documentation and tests is not problem for you (maybe even try once TDD for small app).

You should also compare:
Enum > Stream > Flow (library)
There is even ecto API for streaming data from database which makes is really worth especially when you think about huge responses and WebSocket connections.

B(inary) ER(lang) T(erm) is simple and really interesting. Many people miss that just because functions for it are in Erlang core.

Definitely you should know ecto and jason. Those libraries are really often used and are also related to phoenix.

In storage topic next are: :ets + :dets + :mnesia

Look for ecto related libraries for example support for: enums and SQLite

If you want easy project to start on then go to your favorite news page and scrape some data from it (for example last n articles).

Sooner or later you would need to use metaprogramming which is really helpful in some special (not really rare) cases.

Finally I highly recommend scenic and nerves topics.

Possibly related pages:

10
Post #6
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

You should learn OTP :slight_smile:

It is what follows, it’s all about good design with processes.

jeramyRR

jeramyRR

I agree with @kokolegorille. Learn OTP and then go through theBeamBook. After that, you should get some practice building and deploying a non-trivial Elixir app. For that part I would suggest setting up a repo, CI/CD, and hosting it in a cloud environment like Azure. That way you can learn about other things like Certificate Issuance and usage, Secrets providers (like Azure’s KeyVault or AWS’s Secrets Manager), Network groups, Resource Groups, and API Gateways.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Chat/Questions Top

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews