Where to begin learning Elixir for someone with existing programming experience?

Hello, I’m sure this has been asked a bunch, but where to start. I do prefer vodeos over books, but recently I have found books to be more helpful.

I do have programming experience. I have used languages such as JavaScript, Scala, Php, Python and A couple others. Any guidance is very helpful.

2 Likes

You can start on the getting started guide which will taught you the constructs of the language. Then you can build your first application on the mix and otp intro.

After that get your hands dirty in a project to replicate something you already have in other language or start with Phoenix. Happy Brewing!

3 Likes

hello world of course. Important tradition right there. Looks like joaoevangelista has you linked correctly to get going on that

Just understand that there may be a few up front challenges to your norm based on your language history, but you won’t regret learning this paradigm whether you become an elixir regular or not. Scala has a little of the same sauce but it just isn’t even close to the good feels you get developing a proper elixir/erlang program. If you have a problem in mind just hello world and then go toward it… the ecosystem for elixir is surprisingly vast already and you can find your way toward solving most problems in record time

3 Likes

Btw after/along with the getting started guide if you want to try there are koans basically a bunch of tests to you fill, these you help you getting into the constructs as well
Just fork it and rock it!

3 Likes

Get started with,

1. Official Guides
  2. ElixirSchool
  3. Elixir - Tensor Programming at Youtube.
4 Likes

in this case i would recommend www.learnelixir.tv and www.learnphoenix.tv both by @danielberkompas. He covers a lot topics from the basics to OTP

By the way you get a lifetime access plus notes, slides and exercises.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. I will check out all of those resources. I think I may start with the learnelixir.tv. If you come across anything else, threw it my way.

2 Likes

Just understand that there may be a few up front challenges

Essentially a personal experience report about learning to use Elixir.

4 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Don’t forget to check out our awesome Books and Courses :023:

I’ve currently done and recommend the following (see my reviews in their threads for my thoughts on them):

Currently reading:

We’re very lucky to have some really talented authors and legends creating learning material, so I would definitely make use of them :003: (also, don’t forget your member discount - you can get 35% off all of the books above :023:)

3 Likes

Thank you. I will check those out after work. You guys are freaking awesome

3 Likes

Sorry for the wrong link for the koans.
https://github.com/elixirkoans/elixir-koans here is the correct one.
Thanks @DevotionGeo for pointing it out!

3 Likes

I found a “Getting Started with Elixir” on Pluralsight. I have a 2 month subscription. So, I figured I’ll try it first and see how it goes.

3 Likes

There is also…

From the same author.

3 Likes

Dave Thomas’ Elixir for Programmers is a great place to start. The material is current, and the format is an excellent learning experience.

3 Likes

Thank You

Have fun drinking through the firehose for a few months :wink:

2 Likes