Which code editor or IDE do you use? (Poll) (2022 Edition)

If you want the full vim experience in vscode checkout GitHub - vscode-neovim/vscode-neovim: VSCode Neovim Integration.

I personally just use NeoVim but have a lot of coworkers using VScode with that plugin.

Emacs for Clojure and Neovim for everything else

That’s Zenburn. I’ve been using it for a year. Low contrast and good for the eyes.

Awesome I’m gonna give it a try! I’ve been using Nord but some of the syntax highlighting for Elixir is kinda off. Looking for an alternative. Do you know if Zenburn has a kitty theme?

SpaceVim is a distribution of the Vim editor that’s inspired by spacemacs.

Anyone else excited for JetBrains Fleet?

2 Likes

I thought I didn’t have enough permissions to vote, until I hovered over it. The “Vote Now!” button is greyed out like that by default. Shouldn’t the button color be a solid purple by default? I personally think that the greyed out button is misleading.

Got 5 https://zed.dev invites for those who are interested in giving it a try.

2 Likes

Certainly interested but I believe it’s MacOS only at the moment, correct? Looking forward to trying it once they have windows/Linux builds!

Could you share your nvim elixir configuration (which plugins do you use, and which language server)

I’m using VSCode for Elixir, ElixirLS works amazingly well!

Zed 0.53.0

• Added support for the Elixir language.
4 Likes

I’ve been frantically trying to find an Atom replacement, naturally I’m eager to checkout Zed when it’s available. Happy to hear this!

3 Likes

Tried out a few editors now and then but I’ve been a life-long user of Sublime Text 3 and now version 4.

Recently I discovered lapce (pronounced like lapse). It’s a cool editor project written in Rust with “Rope Science” under the hood and it utilizes the tree-sitter language grammars. Exactly what I was waiting for!

It’s nowhere close to be a replacement at the moment but it’s looking good and I imagine it might be in a year. Writing an IDE is a huge undertaking. So I’m learning Rust and trying to contribute to it.

Hope many more will become interested!

7 Likes

I’ve tried out lapce and I do really like it, but so far it hasn’t convinced me that I need to move on from my vim + plugins setup. Helix is maybe closer to getting me off of vim but also not quite.

If you read about helix, you might be interested in Kakoune. I’ve been developing in Kakoune for quite a while now, and I find that it is better than vim in a term of plugins, macros, binds and integrations with tooling. And I love the Kakoune’s design principles too.

1 Like

I can send you an invite if you’d like, just DM me

1 Like

learning all the vim tricks

My one and only vim trick is to button mash like I’m losing a game of street fighter

4 Likes

@aziz I like Lapce as well. Maybe you’d be up for helping to get elixir-ls packaged as a plugin?

3 Likes

@mayel Nice! I’ll see if I can help when I have the time. :+1:

@stevensonmt Yeah, Helix definitely looks more like a Vim replacement. Lapce has modal editing but I think its objective is mainly to be a light-weight IDE with useful & pretty features. Two recent things added were file path bread crumbs and sticky code section headers (cool!):

I used to use Vim for a little while. It’s hard but even if you get it, it sure is a lot of work to configure it and hunt/install plugins to get it just right. I did the same thing with ST, of course. Lapce won’t be different probably, but my hope is that it will have more sensible defaults with many modern features integrated without growing too resource hungry.

1 Like