AstonJ
We last posted a poll like this in 2017 - here’s an updated version for 2022 - this one is slightly different..
You can select up to 3 - just pick the ones you use most ![]()
Which code editors or IDE’s do you use?
- Visual Studio Code
- Vim (or a variant)
- Emacs (or a variant)
- Atom
- BBedit
- Brackets
- Buffer Editor
- Codespaces
- CoffeeCup
- DroidEdit Pro
- Espresso
- IDE - Geany
- IDE - JetBrains
- IDE - NetBeans
- IDE - Other
- Komodo Edit
- Nano
- Notepad++
- Nova (from Panic)
- Sublime Text
- Textastic
- TextMate / TM2
- XCode
- Other - please say in thread!
0
voters
If you are using a Vim or Emacs variant, please say which one in the thread - general thoughts or comments also welcome.
Trending in Polls
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
vinibrl
I’ve tried VS Code, Emacs, Spacemacs, TextMate but I always come back to Neovim
AstonJ
I use MacVim for when I need to use multiple panes (when working on a bigger project) or TextMate for smaller/quick edits (TextMate is still the best looking editor for Mac imo).
I also keep meaning to get in to Onivim and recently heard of Doom Emacs, so might give that a try (some positive comments about it on Devtalk).
I use the Elixify theme on MacVim and Textmate.
tomkonidas
No need for the multiple selections… Neovim is the only editor I need
sweeneydavidj
Spacemacs vim style rocks
connorlay
Neovim for me, going on 8ish years now? Tree-sitter has been a game changer for me, which is why I decided to work on tree-sitter-heex for a better experience with Phoenix Live View.
I’m interested in giving Helix https://helix-editor.com/ a shot once it is further along in development, it looks like everything I want in a modern text editor. Zed also sounds promising https://zed.dev/
ngscheurich
Neovim for me.
mindok
I don’t code all day, every day so I’m not ashamed to admit that Visual Code is my tool of choice. The cost-benefit of learning all the vim tricks beyond the basics isn’t there for me.
I very occasionally use Atom without Elixir plug-ins when messing around with Rust(ler) on Windows so Rust re-builds don’t misbehave.
crispinb
Even the mere fact that you feel a need to make such a disclaimer is one more example of the weird cultishness that so often prevails in the tech world. VS Code is a tool. It can work perfectly for those who enjoy its particular affordances (and, yes, large numbers of these users ‘code all day’). As do Emacs and Textmate and nvim and monaco-in-LiveBook and probably notepad.exe and everything in between.
mindok
Ha - it was a tongue-in-cheek comment, poking fun at exactly that cultishness. I 100% agree, and VS Code is a very good tool these days.
thiagomajesk
It’s vs code for me because of WSL, which is the only editor today that integrates seamlessly. I like the concept of Vim and Emacs, the amount of customization and all, but ergonomic-wise never managed to adapt to its model.
@connorlay I never heard of zed before, but it seems it’s from folks that made Atom back in the day!? I also have been meaning to try helix, but I don’t think it fits my workflow right now.
I think that the main problem all-new editors will face today is the great wall of vs code’s plugin ecosystem, which is basically because Javascript is very approachable language (kind of a double-edged sword).