Which code editor (or IDE) do you use?

Because compared to my home linux desktop that is rock solid, my Windows work computer is anything but stable, so I just expect it. :wink:

Hmm, I’ll look at it.

Heard of it, never used it, can it really seem vim’y or is it like the poor evil mode in emacs that lacks way too much functionality? And does it work well on Windows?

1 Like

I miss nothing from Vim proper in Spacemacs.

I have it installed on my windows computer and it seemed to work well. I rarely use that computer though, in fact haven’t turned it on in over a month so I can’t attest to how it works at the moment.

1 Like

This forum has a wiki for Spacemacs.

I tried Spacemacs on Windows and it worked for me (but I use it on Debian nowadays). Instructions.

It’s better than the typical “evil” mode. Does a lot more. Give it a try… doesn’t take too long to set up. :slight_smile:

Edit: You should use it with Alchemist (never tried it on Windows though).

4 Likes

Just a comment - - use emacs without evil mode on Windows. Very happy with Alchemist. Plus there’s a Powershell major mode that is really pretty nice on Windows.

2 Likes

Rubymine with the Elixir plugin

1 Like

Rubymine is just IntelliJ with the Ruby plugin by default I am guessing?

1 Like

I’ve been learning Vim and using vim-elixir. I used SublimeText for a long time with JavaScript but now with Elixir I switch into IEx a lot when I’m coding, so it’s easier to split panes in my terminal (OS X) using Tmux and work that way.

2 Likes

You can run iex ‘inside’ vim as well. Or inside atom.io or others. I also have a terminal that slides down from the top of the screen when I hit Ctrl+` that has multiple panes inside of it as well, a few of these are around.

4 Likes

Currently using atom but have been learning space macs.
I did use ruby mine for a while for ruby.
All my java is done in IntelliJ.

2 Likes

I laughed very loudly

1 Like

visual studio code -> javascript, ruby, elixir
intellj -> java

2 Likes

Spacemacs

Definitely Spacemacs.

I’ve been using Atom with one of the Elixir plugins (is there more than one?) for a couple of days but missed shell and REPL smooth integration, so I let it go.
I respect the plugin’s developer(s) enormously, just didn’t hit it off right.

Then it was IntelliJ IDEA with KronicDeth’s (hope I get the username correct) plugin.
I have mad props for anyone who is able to code in Java a plugin for IntelliJ, a super sophisticated IDE, to support Elixir, but the configuration on that… I know my way around IntelliJ and even I was overwhelmed.

Then I tried Spacemacs.
Ooooh boy.

Helm to find any functionality I need in a fuzzy-search; Projectile to manage everything about your project; NeoTree/Dired to manage you file system from within Emacs; Avy to snap to any line in the buffer (or even specific character); Vim keybinding honed over 30 years to make you never have to take your hands off the keyboard; Vim’s functionality composition (talking about FP, 30 years ago, FTW) which means, for example, if you know how to delete a single line (d-d) and you know how to reach the end of the buffer (Shift-g) you now know how do delete to the end of the buffer (d-shift-g); Emac’s extendibility which means you have tons of community-developed “layers”, as they’re referred to on Spacemac’s community, to extend your usage (or just roll your own, using e-Lisp, a dialect of Scheme-Lisp… the holy-grail of FP languages)…

And of course, best for last: Alchemist layer allowing seamless integration of Elixir support in Emacs which means, among other: Projectile supports Elixir projects and recognizes them as such; elixir, iex and mix are supported out-of-the-box and better yet, its a three-button sequence to not only launch the correct app, but with flags (e.g. iex -S mix? SPC-m-s-i; mix test? SPC-m-t-a).

Oh, and did I mention I got all this functionality down in about a week of part-time-coding? Imagine what you can learn to do after a month of full-time “coding-is-my-day-job”. A year…

Sure, Emacs’s 30+ years of age show… no fancy, eye-candy GUI.
Just a fast-loading, super productive, robust as hell with very few bugs, “A superb operating system only lacking a decent text editor” (as the known adage goes) piece of software.

Why was I so scared for so long to take this leap of faith?
Not going back to anything else, that’s for sure.

8 Likes

Neovim and Alchemist.vim - liberal use of Tmux, Tmuxinator and various watcher script to auto-compile, auto-test

2 Likes

i use Neovim and Alchemist.vim i like spacemacs but haven’t got time to fully adopt it.

2 Likes

How do you run iex ‘inside’ VIm. Is it via a shell like Conque or is it a plugin specially made for Vim and elixir?

Just via running a shell in a new window is all.

I’ve mostly migrated to spacemacs now though, I highly recommend it, its basically vim+emacs done right.

1 Like

I use Sublime Text 3. I like Atom but it is slow.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Elixir Code Editors & IDEs 2017 - which one are you using? (Poll)

Please see this more recent thread for future discussion: Elixir Code Editors & IDEs - which one are you using? (Poll)

2 Likes