brightball
Just for discussion sake, I thought it would be worthwhile to have a discussion to give ideas to community members looking to contribute to open source projects for Elixir. Which projects out there would provide the greatest benefit if they had more contributors?
This is a bit of a weighted question because not every project benefits from just having more people help out and some projects are already getting plenty of attention.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
brightball
Since nobody is responding yet…I’ll start.
I think Coherence is probably the most in-need.
One of the things constantly celebrated in Rails world is just plugging in Devise (by Platformatec). Coherence is the closest equivalent in the Elixir/Phoenix world. It seems like it’s maintained by a single developer, which is impressive given the number of different options that are out there.
Working issues, adding additional modules to support MFA and webauthin for Yubikey/FIDO, etc would go a long way for the community as a whole since so many projects build around this type of functionality. I’ve thought about building anti-phishing module for it at some point.
What other projects though?
dokuzbir
Yes Coherence is really important project. Also Talon, Arc, drab projects need help and i believe really important projects for elixir community. I think we need to build core teams for these projects.
AstonJ
This thread may also be of interest:
dimitarvp
I keep wondering the same and I am pretty sure there are plenty of maintainers who would appreciate the help… yet somehow this issue rarely if ever sees any visibility here on ElixirForum. I find it baffling.
The very small number of replies in this thread shows this yet another time.
I am looking to help a project or two with a small workload and as awesome I find Drab, I don’t feel it’s my thing. Will look at Talon and Arc.
Also, this does not exactly help – what about projects who don’t exist yet? Example: I keep pondering trying to write a library that does pretty and efficient data diffing but I am still unsure if that’s actually needed.
ConnorRigby
Not to get too off track here, but i want to indulge this. One thing i really wish Elixir had from Ruby is Hash diffing.
ConnorRigby
I realize it’s a bit of a case of domain specific knowledge, but Nerves Project could use a bit of help with a few things, one easy thing is documentation. I recently followed the getting-started guide as a test, but i have a working memory of the system since its’s inception a number of years ago, so i don’t get tripped up like a new user might.
The other thing i’m most interested in fixing/working on is
nerves_network. I’ve been working on it for a long time, i just don’t have much progress to show unfortunately. If anyone is interested in helping with that particular project, pm me, or reach out to us on slack.< /plea>
jswny
Absolutely Elixir-LS by @JakeBecker. The language server is the backbone of modern tooling for Elixir and there’s still a lot of work to be done here. If there’s going to be strong tooling for Elixir as there is in many other languages, the language server is the place to start.
michalmuskala
I agree with that one. I think the biggest impact you could have in elixir is exactly around tooling and editors. There’s a lot of very useful and cool things that could be done.
CptnKirk
If we’re talking about things that don’t exist but should, I’d vote for an Elixir implementation of:
The core team isn’t interested in taking Flow in this direction. But it’s an extremely powerful and foundational concept. One that I think would benefit many Elixir projects. The associated ecosystem of high quality processing modules would provide additional benefit to the community.
josevalim
What do you mean by hash diffing precisely?