bdarla
Is there any list of hardware, i.e. GPU that is compatible with Nx/Axon/etc. (apologies if I missed this information)? Does the general “rule” that any Nvidia is a good match?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
AstonJ
Great question - I’ve been wondering the same!
Does anyone know if the built in GPU of a MacBook Pro would be ok or would I need to get an eGPU? My Mac has an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB (and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB).
Related thread for external GPUs: Which external GPU are you using for Nx/Axon?
D4no0
Doesn’t Nx backends use NIFs under the hood? For example the XLA backend there is a clear specification . The specifics of XLA backend is using CUDA so you most probably have to backtrack to that dependency, but this is only applicable to NVIDIA graphics cards. The way I see it there is still a big gap between official efficient universal drivers on unix systems, as graphics cards main market is currently gaming, witch is not existent on unix systems, this will change with time however this is a sensible topic as writing drivers for such kind of devices should take a lot of resources.
AstonJ
We definitely need more info on this, I can’t have been the only one thinking any OpenCL card probably would have been ok, even if not as performant as some of the others.
So basically it’s as @bdarla said, we need a modern Nvidia card?
And from the site in the eGPU thread that’s these (for Mac users):
How do you decide between them? Does the ‘additional software’ column matter if it’s just going to be for Nx?
XLA also supports AMD’s ROCm, but Nvidia/Cuda is the way to go?
hubertlepicki
so is there anything I have to do, like, on Linux, with AMD GPU to get the Nx working? I never touched it but may be interested.
dtew
As a beginner / student in this I like to see other practitioners’ information (I’m assuming some are on a low-budget and are thoughtful about what is worth spending money on).
One such video demonstrating benchmarking ML using an older graphics card vs a newer one is this one:
AstonJ
I’m in the same boat as you Hubert, but from my understanding there are some notable differences between ROCm and Cuda; ROCm is opensource but Nvidia Cuda cards are said to be more performant and have better compatibility/support (they’ve been around for 10 years).
AMD brought out GPUFORT as a direct competitor to Cuda last year:
Source: https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMD-Radeon-GPUFORT
It also seems that ROCm doesn’t work on all AMD cards (even newer ones) and that AMD are still figuring out their game, whereas as most Nvidia cards (even consumer models) from the last 10 years or so are Cuda compatible, this has allowed Cuda to dominate the space… which makes Nvidia cards/Cuda the safe bet.
That’s the impression I’m left with anyway, maybe someone with more experience can let us know their thoughts
What’s the tldr David? Are newer cards better?
hubertlepicki
This AMD ROCm thing is wild, my old GPU that I just boxed month ago is supported and the new one is not? Pfff
dtew
TLDR
Whisper model finished in 1 minute on newer card vs 6 mins on older card vs 22 mins on CPU only
The guy is very impressed with his 12gb RTX 3060
I got to realise (from a bit of digging) that bigger RAM size is more important (to me) than incremental increase in GPU speed since, as per another comment, you can load larger models and get more accurate results - or can even complete the run of a large model ( viz on apple M1 max which has a ton of shared RAM running pytorch Running PyTorch on the M1 GPU | Sebastian Raschka, PhD)
dtew
But then this project sounds better - GitHub - bigscience-workshop/petals: 🌸 Run LLMs at home, BitTorrent-style. Fine-tuning and inference up to 10x faster than offloading · GitHub
TLDR shared access to GPUs to run big models
bdarla
From the provided link on the “petals” project:
I am afraid using Apple Silicon based machines is not yet a promising direction (unfortunately). Nevertheless, thank you for sharing this information!