Who is currently developing with Elixir at work?

I’m currently developing a Enterprise Messaging app at work. Just released it to [open source this week] (Interested in contributing to Messaging App?). I’ll be integrating an Phoenix based Enterprise WebRTC phone in the browser we built last year. I have developed a couple IT systems in Phoenix for our business, an Emergency call out application, and a digital phone to VOIP gateway in pure Elixir. Coherence and ExAdmin where both written at work and then released to open source. I’ve been developing Elixir full time now for over 3 years.

2 Likes

Hello, @smpallen99.

I’m sorry, I’ve been vague on purpose. Not sure how much I’m allowed to share so I’m erring on the side of caution.

1 Like

Hi. Could you tell a little bit more about this?

We use Elixir & Phoenix for Docker Image CI ( build docker image for users’ code) in production.

@jackalcooper Sure. We sell a PBX built on Asterisk. We developed a channel driver that supports Nortel IP phones using the UNISTIM protocol. We have a pretty extensive feature set, matching many of the Meridian 1 features.

We build a gateway in Elixir that connects with a number of Meridian digital gateway via TCP and UDP. Our gateway handles MGC registration, heartbeats, and OAM. We handle the digital phone signalling and resource managing, converting the signalling to UNISTIM signalling between the gateway and Asterisk. So, the digital phones look like Voip UNISTIM phones to the call server. This allows us to provide the same feature on both the UNIStIM phones and the digital phones on the MGC.

After that, we developed a UNISTIM WebRTC browser based UNISTIM soft phone supporting the same feature set as the Voip and digital phones, allow features like hot desking between all 3 phone types. This was built with Phoenix.

If your interested in more information, check out my ElixirConf 2014 presentation. .

2 Likes

Thanks for your information. It sounds cool! I will watch your talk.

1 Like

Currently using Elixir and Erlang at our startup (TestingPays.com). We’re trying to help make payment integration and testing way easier for developers.

As part of that we use elixir channels to drive our in browser live tail (like a console window) so you can see your requests traffic going through our system. This replaced actioncable for us as it was way faster.

The erlang part drives our simulatiors, since all our traffic is basically small (mostly, looking at you wirecard) concurrent requests erlang is a perfect fit for that, especially if you want to do load testing.

I’d be interested actually if there are many erlang/elixir devs working with payments at the moment? We currently supply docs for a heap of languages and are thinking of adding elixir to the mix. If anyones working with elixir and payments I’d be delighted to hear about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Egads I worked on (an old generation of) those, that was painful as a back-end system. At that job we eventually switched to Asterisks, and although significantly more configuration, wow was it easy in comparison to do anything. ^.^;

1 Like

I can understand that. I spend a good part on my career working developing software for the old SL1/Meridian 1 stuff. Its kinda like vi. I can sit down at a terminal and most of the 3 character mnemonics just roll off my fingers. Still a lot of companies out there running the old systems. Phones last forever.

2 Likes

Yep, there was nothing really wrong with these, and I built a server that pulled data from it in real-time to show call volume information on the boards for the phone workers (yay SOAP *hurls*), but they decided to replace it with Asterisk and to replace all the phones with lower quality phones for… I don’t know why reasons. Asterisk is awesome yes, but there is no reason whatsoever to have wasted all that money when we ended up getting less information out of it, all just to have a talk/response auto-system that I could have built with the Nortel system if they’d asked… >.>

Oh, and they ended up not using the talk/response system they built anyway, so yay wasted money…

1 Like

I remember those SOAP days. Glad that’s past.

1 Like