Who is currently developing with Elixir at work?

Hoorah! That was our thoughts entirely. Great that you are having success with it.

1 Like

Iā€™m working with Elixir at work, using it to send data from RaspberryPIs to another sever running Phoenix. The whole project is in itā€™s early stages so thereā€™s not much to say. Iā€™m using gen_tcp right now to get packets from a third-party tcp server thatā€™s running on each RPi. I then plan on sending that data to Phoenix. In Phoenix Iā€™ll have to make sense of the data and show something relevant to a user. The whole project can grow in complexity depending on where we want to take it, but for now itā€™s pretty basic.

2 Likes

Bleacher Report has recently done a presentation with our Director of Engineering and Lead Backend Engineer talking about our experiences running Elixir in production for the last 18 months:

7 Likes

I have been working with Erlang for 3 years, and for the past 6 months I have been working with Elixir for Merigo. We are building a sort of Unity but for the backend of games. It is interesting to do something else apart from chats or web applications with Erlang/Elixir. Developing tools for backend game developers has been more interesting than I thought.

1 Like

Weā€™ve got two pilot projects using Elixir at the moment, oneā€™s an internal-only data management tool working with a Neo4j database. The other is currently a prototype for a customer-facing UI that needed to have very fast reactivity on budget hardware.

ā€¦Paul

1 Like

Ooh, what driver are you using?

Neo4j-sips.

ā€¦Paul

Iā€™m building a full-featured CRM with Phoenix and Elixir at my current job. We just got started, but in 1 or 2 months I can send you a link to its beta. Probably it will not be full-featured at that time, but you know: baby steps. :wink:

2 Likes

Not quite lucky enough to be using Elixir all that much at work. We run our game backend on Erlang and Iā€™ve written some external tests for certain parts of it in Elixir. When we upgrade to rebar3 we might be able to actually put Elixir code in to either use it to extend the current codebase or replace some of whatā€™s already there.

1 Like

We are also doing rewrites of a bunch of Ruby microservices to Elixir here at Derivco Sweden

2 Likes

I deployed my first elixir project this week! Itā€™s a really lightweight tool that listens to github webhooks and send notification of changes to particular files to a slack channel. That seemed like a nice low-risk way for our company to dip our toe in the water^H elixir.

3 Likes

I rewrite a notification service with elixir
itā€™s really suitable to use elixir to do background job!:slight_smile:

1 Like

Recently I received a project in Elixir in my company. Dreams come true! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Our entire infrastructure is built on Elixir. The customer-facing sites, our backend order tracking system, operations, environmental metrics, etc. Itā€™s an umbrella app with 3 phoenix front-ends and maybe half a dozen other OTP apps, deployed to EC2 with Distillery.

Doesnā€™t see too much traffic so I canā€™t speak to load handling, but itā€™s really easy to share code (eg, styles across our web front-ends) and the realtime capabilities make for some fun user experiences. Right now whenever weā€™re having a slack conversation or pushing code to github a little heart on our homepage starts beating.

7 Likes

Iā€™m using Elixir and Phoenix on a side project - a commercial one so I think that validates as ā€œworkā€?

Next step in my career is finding an Elixir gig for a client!

3 Likes

Iā€™m launching a startup in the consumer finance space and using Elixir for the backend. Weā€™ll use Phoenix to support a mobile iOS client.

2 Likes

That sounds nifty!

I am also lucky enough to have landed a full-time Elixir position :slight_smile:

We are a consultancy, however the amount of different projects we work on is very low. Weā€™re about as close to product work as possible without having an actual software product offering.

Anything new on the backend we develop with Elixir, at least at the time of writing, always in an umbrella app.

1 Like

I have been Elixir at my work for about a year, having been the sneaky guy who introduced it. I work in telecommunications. The cleanliness and readability of elixir for these kind of applications is unmatched by any other language.

2 Likes

@Oliver Iā€™m working in telecom (Elixir and Phoenix). What type of stuff are you doing?