Your ideas for Elixir book authors and content creators

books
community

Nail on the head, now someone needs to write it :grinning:

I’d like to see a book on bridging the Elixir <-> native divide.

Hardly anyone produces an Elixir language wrapper for their C++ lib. Forcing people to use a different language, go without, or try and brave NIFs alone. I’d love a book that would walk me through how to approach this problem. You’d probably make extra money with add-on video lectures or a support forum.

If you need a popular but complex starting point, you can use:

A book that explains category theory to the common man, with (surprise?) elixir examples / excercises and why category theory? (I am reading sporadically things about category theory and functional programming, however I would like to have that kind of book available to guide me)

Like others have said I’d love to see a book walk through building an intermediate level application. Once you’ve read a few books and understand the language constructs it’s really helpful to see how someone else uses those constructs to build a thing. Maybe the size of the “realworld” project.

Also helpful to see examples of others modeling data, making decisions on what trade offs in what scenario, different approaches to different access patterns. Even small examples of those things are helpful.

Discover meteor was a good one for this back in the day.

How about an inventory tracking system with nerves on the edge and Phoenix in the cloud? Who wants to write that with me? :slight_smile:

Love this thread. Lots of good stuff.

Building Conduit is a self-published eBook I’m part way through writing that takes you through building the RealWorld example blogging application in Elixir, Phoenix, using a CQRS/ES architecture.

I’m gonna buy that for sure.

That could be a really neat book: Combining these components into a coherent application would provide a persuasive demonstration on Elixir’s value in creating innovative, cooperating systems.

Currently working through it - or catching up with what you’ve done so far. Aside from anything else, it helps put flesh on some otherwise abstract CQRS/ES literature.

It’s entirely free to read online. You only have to pay for the offline version (PDF, ePub, mobi).