Your ideas for Elixir book authors and content creators

I’d love to see a book on Phoenix Deployment.
A book which teaches the following

1. Deploy to Heroku / Gigalixir
  2. Deploy to a VPS like Linode / DigitalOcean
  3. Deploy to Dedicated Baremetal Servers at Scaleway / Hetzner
  4. Deploy to Cloud Hosting like Google Cloud, Azure and Amazon
  5. Docker (optional, not very important, as Elixir’s strengths beat the purpose of Docker)

A book like that will be a gem for unexperienced web developers like me.

4 Likes

Aren’t 2, 3, and 4 the same? At least I follow the very same steps when deploying for all three (unless I’m using an ARM box on scaleway).

Funny to see this because I am currently writing about how this is not the case :). It comes up so frequently it’ll be useful to have a place to point to.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I’m so excited :lol:

Bumping this thread for our newbies… :smiley:

Being nearly at the end of a month Long project that has taken two years (CLDR-based libs) I have been contemplating some kind of book on i18n / l18n using elixir. There is some good tooling (gettext, translate, CLDR) but some Googling shows very little about how to design and implement applications for multiple cultures.

Given that user engagement is a critical success element in public facing apps this is a little surprising to me (there was one java-based book that is quite old). And I think elixir (especially its meta programming features) make it quite straight forward to build adaptable interfaces compared to many other languages if considered at the start.

Feedback from this community on whether that is of interest would be helpful to guide my thinking. It’s a large task!

11 Likes

I would buy that. If you want to self-publish, please go with leanpub.com, it’s such an awesome platform, especially for large technical books.

1 Like

Sounds like a great idea Kip :023:

I’d definitely contact some of the major publishers with a proposal :smiley:

Feel free to start a dedicated thread about it in the Projects or Elixir Chat section if you like (or we can move these posts to a new thread if you like) :003:

That’s a great idea. I’d love it and buy it.

1 Like

would love such a book…

Intent is a critical component of motivation, my motivation for buy programming books is to be able to write production quality code after meticulously going through the book. More often than not, there’s this disclaimer that the code in the book is not production ready and there are better ways to implement stuff for production. It begs the question how many more books do I have to read to be able to write production quality/ready code. Mathematics comes to mind, for years I was taught mathematics, a lot of formulas without knowing how and when I was going to apply them(if that even makes sense), I lost interest eventually. To be honest, these not production ready codes actually ends up in production. My humble submission to book authors is to expose us to production quality code.

3 Likes

Infinite. You don’t learn that from books. You learn that from getting involved in production systems, either via open source or employment. Full production caliber code has so many special cases and caveats specific to the particular company’s constraints that I wouldn’t want to read a book that deals with that.

2 Likes

Don’t lose hope - it’s completely achievable writing production ready code by learning from books and other online resources. I’m sure many members here are living proof of that :003: Professionally produced books and courses are invaluable imo.

The trick however is getting the order of learning material right.

I’ve started to put a prescription of what I think newcomers could do here: What is your recommended order of reading Elixir books in 2019? hopefully I (and others) will add more thoughts as we progress through the material ourselves. By the end of it you should be relatively competent, even if your programming experience is limited to begin with.

Why not start it now and see how you get on?

This thread may also be of interest: My best tips on learning/reading/studying!

I also agree that you will most likely find you are continually learning… that’s not a bad thing tho and I’m sure it eases over time :blush:

2 Likes

@gregvaughn I totally agree with you, writing code and working on production systems are imperative but there are generic production quality code that could be made available which can be adopted and adapted. @AstonJ - I’ve gone through the recommended order of reading, I’ve all the books and I will follow suit. I just finished with Elixir in Action and I’ve read part of Programming Phoenix and Ecto.
Grateful for the guidance being provided everyone.

2 Likes

Putting this draft out here to see if there is enough interest for me to self publish:

Elixir in Practice

Build an e-commerce platform with CQRS/ES and Elixir

Overview

The rapid adoption and spike in interest of Elixir that we have seen in the last couple years are well deserved; thanks to Elixir’s friendly syntax, powerful features, and amazing performance a brand new generation of developers have been introduced to the ideas of functional programming.

This book’s goal is to walk you through building an application tackling a real-world scenario; in today’s ever-growing e-commerce space the technology options are fairly limited and somewhat stale, most e-commerce platforms are still MVC and CRUD based, and difficult to change and optimize.

In addition, this book also introduces two powerful concepts Event Sourcing and CQRS, as we develop our new e-commerce platform we will learn how CQRS/ES can help us architect and develop highly scalable and flexible applications.

By the end of the book, we will not only have built a working e-commerce application from scratch but also we will have a practical understanding and the relevant skills to apply Event Sourcing and CQRS to future projects.

Sections

The book is divided into three primary sections:

• Fundamentals, introducing the baseline concepts like CQRS, Event Sourcing, Domain Drive Design, architecture and baseline domain knowledge.

• Working in Context, the main section of the book and deals with the implementation of our platform.

• Continuing the Journey, explores additional subjects like deployment, handling concurrency and preparing to continue developing further.

8 Likes

This is exactly what I am looking for. One topic I would suggest is event upcasting/versioning. That seems to be a tricky one.

2 Likes

Interesting, is there any examples / usecases you have for event upcasting? Would love to look more into it.

1 Like

OK, I just realized that’s probably just my specific use-case not related to the event sourcing itself and standard upcasting is quite straightforward. Nevermind. Anyway, I will definitely buy your book when it’s available. Good luck. :+1:

2 Likes

No worries, that being said there is a challenge with Event sourced systems when it comes to maintaining backwards compatibility, in theory an event created 4 years ago should be readable today.

In practice making sure that changes to the implementation stays consistent, is a lot tricker; you can always convert the old data into the new format but that could be destructive or cause downtime.

It’s definitively an interesting topic; and will absolutely add it to the outline.

3 Likes

Greg Young has written an eBook on the topic of versioning in an event sourced system. It’s definitely worth a read.

@amacgregor Your book would make a useful addition for the Elixir community who want to learn the more about these concepts. My opinion is strongly biased towards the benefits of CQRS and event sourcing in Elixir!

4 Likes