AstonJ

AstonJ

Inspired by what @tommica wrote:

I thought it could be nice to have a thread that might serve as inspiration for bloggers :blush: so, if there’s a blog post you’d love to see please say here - you never know, someone with the relevant experience on the topic might spot your post and write one :003:


For anyone interested, we have a similar thread for book authors, and for anyone interested in blogging, don’t forget you can get more exposure and help your SEO by posting via Devtalk (see this thread for details).

Showing Posts 1 to 4

AstonJ

AstonJ OP

I’ll start by adding that I’d love to see more blog posts about LiveView (and Surface) :sunglasses:

dorgan

dorgan

I have a couple ideas:

  • Functional data structures in elixir (queues, balanced trees, finger trees, zippers), mostly directed to people new to FP
  • Integrating phoenix and javascript in a framework agnostic way, basically something that says “phoenix doesn’t care about your js as long as it lands in priv/static”
  • Tailoring phx_gen_auth for your use case, with some example using Assent (for oauth2) or TOTP
  • Phoenix is not Rails/Phoenix is not magic, for the newcomers that are afraid of using Phoenix thinking it is bloated
  • Talking about Phoenix.Pubsub and how it can be used outside of phoenix and how it saves you from using Redis or whatever like you would need in other ecosystems
Sebb

Sebb

I propose a guide for (experienced) OOP-devs.

Stuff I think should be covered:

  1. use composition instead of inheritance

Don’t do what I did, implement inheritance with GenServers

defmodule Base do
  use GenServer

  def handle_cast(:foo, state), do: ...
  def handle_cast(:bar, state), do: ...
end

defmodule Derived do
  use GenServer

  def handle_cast(:foo, state), do: ...
  def handle_cast(:baz, state), do: ...

  # !!!
  def handle_cast(method, state), do: Base.handle_cast(method, state)
end
  1. Understand why immutability is great but comes at a cost - You give up mutability - I often miss this part in FP-introductions, which directly leads to …

  2. survival without mutability (understand, ideally implement yourself) map-reduce algorithms. Learn to structure data so that its easy to handle without mutability.

  3. learn to love pure functions (testability! understandable code!) which leads to

  4. functional patterns - starting with a simple pipe, then with, understand plug and maybe functional core, imperative shell (with proposing this pattern Sasa Juric vastly improved some code of mine here so I love it)

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Development tooling, ideally written in compile-time static and strongly typed language like Rust, OCaml, Haskell, Nim, Zig. I am partial to Rust so I’ll give examples with it.

I am talking about series of posts here, not just a single post:

  • Long-term: rewrite Elixir compiler in Rust.
  • Mid-term: rewrite Elixir LS in Rust.
  • Short-/mid-term: efforts like Sourceror (manipulate Elixir code) Sourceror - Utilities to work with Elixir source code by @dorgan (thank you!)
  • Short/mid-term: Phoenix/Absinthe tailored tooling that can do stuff like “add a field to this model and everywhere the model is used” – controllers, queries / mutators, views, templates, you name it. I’d like to see more intelligent generation and manipulation of code. (If I become a millionaire tomorrow that’s one of the projects that I’m extremely likely to pick up in my free time!)
  • Short-term: basic GenServer wrapper that does away with boilerplate – or just codegen it. Maybe something like @pragdave’s component library?
  • Long-term: rigorously tested library bridges to amazing technologies like Sqlite, Redis and DuckDB.
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews