Zed Code Editor

Code at the speed of thought

Zed is a high-performance, multiplayer code editor from the creators of Atom and Tree-sitter. It’s also open source.

Stay in Flow

Productive coding starts with a tool that stays out of your way. Zed combines the power of an IDE with the responsiveness of a lightweight editor for productivity you can feel under your fingertips.

Engineered for performance

Zed efficiently leverages every CPU core and your GPU to start instantly, load files in a blink, and respond to your keystrokes on the next display refresh. Unrelenting performance keeps you in flow and makes other tools feel slow.

Intelligence on tap

Save time and keystrokes by generating code with AI. Zed supports GitHub Copilot out of the box, and you can use GPT-4 generate or refactor code by pressing ctrl-enter and typing a natural language prompt. Interact with the model conversationally without switching context in the built-in assistant panel, then reference your conversation during inline generation.

Language-aware

Zed maintains a full syntax tree for every buffer as you type, enabling precise code highlighting, auto-indent, a searchable outline view, and structural selection. Zed also speaks the Language Server Protocol to provide autocompletion, code navigation, diagnostics, and refactorings.

Connect with your team

With Zed, multiple developers can navigate and edit within a shared workspace. This makes it easy to have nuanced, real-time conversations about any part of your codebase, whether the code in question was committed last year or hasn’t yet been saved to disk.

A virtual office for software teams

Channels are spaces to discuss, plan, and write software with your team. Each channel has a shared document for taking notes and tracking projects, and channels nest in a hierarchy to keep you organized. Share projects with the channel and use audio or text-based chat to engage collaborators in real time.

Work with code on any machine

When you join a teammate’s project, you can navigate and edit as if the code is on your local machine. Open any file, type with low latency, and interact with language servers. It all works seamlessly, whether you’re working with someone at the next desk or on a different continent.

Navigate together

Jump to a teammate’s location and follow them around the code, then switch roles and have them follow you. It’s a great way to review changes or help a new teammate get oriented in your codebase. You can also use the built-in screen sharing to follow someone outside of Zed to view documentation or experiment with an app in development.

…and more:

Zed editor newly supports HEEx templates (v0.91.3) :slight_smile:

I was waiting for this one to give it a proper go - as an alternative to IntelliJ IDEA :sweat_smile:

Anyone using the editor for daily development? Share your experience!

14 Likes

I feel crippled without a working vim-mode :sweat_smile:

• no resizable panes is a bit annoying
  • missing syntax highlighting for some file types

It is superfast though so I sometimes use it instead of vim for editing single files :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Zed is now open source:

https://zed.dev/blog/zed-is-now-open-source

Anyone tried it?

3 Likes

I’be been using it as a daily driver since this summer, a bit rough around the edges sometimes but perfectly usable.

Doesnt have all the bells and whistles like vscode but I found I dont really need it, not having the option is sometimes a blessing too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I switched to Zed as my main editor from Sublime. So far I’m really digging it.

2 Likes

I use it for work with the LSP disabled, it’s snappy and gets out of the way.

1 Like

The only thing stoping me from switching from VS Code is the lack of CoPilot chat.
Other than that Zed is pretty god, way snappier than VS Code.

1 Like

Sounds like you already use it so you know, but for others listening, it does have Copilot autocomplete/suggestions and they work just fine. It also has a GPT “assistant” for conversations. I don’t really use Copilot chat so can’t compare it, but assume it is there for somewhat similar functionality.

1 Like

Yes it does have Copilot integration and it works fine. Personally I use the chet more than the rest of copilot. It’s great to save time on boring tasks. :grin:

1 Like

This is MacOS only so I’ll pass.

3 Likes

I can’t get the “go to definition” to work; any workaround for this?

You can build and run it successfully on Linux - that’s said the support is still work in progress.

2 Likes

The broken vim mode is really obnoxious. No ability to paste from registers whilst doing a global search and replace is the worst.

I started using, but it cannot find my elixir installation, since it is a custom installation (not brew). Has anyone found how to point zed to the path where elixir is?

1 Like

As long as you set PATH environment variable properly it should not be a problem I guess. I have installed Elixir via asdf on Gentoo Linux and after running zed cargo run --release ~/example, putting some empty lines in any of file inside example project and saving changes the file is properly formatted. I have also proper syntax highlighting. Make sure that in your ~/.bashrc (or equivalent file on MacOS) you have line like . ~/.asdf/asdf.sh before any interactive shell check, for example:

# before non-interactive check
. ~/.asdf/asdf.sh

# Test for an interactive shell. 
if [[ $- != *i* ]] ; then
  # Shell is non-interactive. Be done now!
  return
fi

Thanks for the help. It isn’t on my default PATH.

So I am happily using Zed for Elixir development for almost a month now. The only thing that causes me a bit of a trouble is when I am running tests for an umbrella app. In the terminal, the paths that are printed are in the form of lib/app_name/module_name.ex:123 instead of apps/app_name/lib/app_name/module_name.ex:123

This makes the paths non-clickable, so I can’t easily get to a failing test for example.

Did somebody make this work, or is there an issue that aims to resolve it? I was not able to find anything.

Not sure how it is handled but you can always add a custom formatter for the tests results ; as a workaround.

I’d like to try zed now but did you install ElixirLS or another language server?

Thanks for the tip for custom tests results formatter.

I am using Lexical with this in my settings.json (⌘,):

"elixir": {
    "lsp": {
      "local": {
        "path": "<full_path_to>/lexical/_build/dev/package/lexical/bin/start_lexical.sh",
        "arguments": []
      }
    }
  }

EDIT: I made a GitHub Issue with feature request

1 Like

Nice, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like