kanishka

kanishka

I am curious if there are any plugs or libraries that help implement http cache headers (REST API Response Caching - When and Where?) for a rest API or graphql server?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

In my practice we start without any cache whatsoever and only if needed added cache on the resource loading level (DB or API requests). Often using Cachex.
Another would be using CDN to cache assets (but that’s outside of the elixir app, obviously).

The rest of the stack of phoenix application is pretty performant.

kanishka

kanishka OP

I am curious about http caching because I assume it is simpler and more efficient than caching with cachex inside of the server.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I only ever heard good things about Varnish, Squid, nginx, Caddy and several others.

But IMO the main challenge is having the right caching key; this is why in-app caching is so powerful because you can cache an object through its ID and have any updating logic update the cached object, and any readers will be none the wiser because they’ll fetch it from cache 99% of the time (the other 1% being the object expiring due to TTL policy, or a race condition).

It’s trivially easy to setup many web servers to cache pretty much anything but then it falls on you to always return the right modified / etag response headers. Which is also pretty easy.

All in all, it is a “pick your poison” type of stuff really.

kanishka

kanishka OP

It’s trivially easy to setup many web servers to cache pretty much anything but then it falls on you to always return the right modified / etag response headers. Which is also pretty easy.

I’ll take this as it is so easy that no one has bothered to implement libraries or utilities to facilitate this, just use http header functions in phoenix.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I have no doubt some libraries do this but yes, it’s just 1-3 lines of code so a library wouldn’t bring any value to the table. Me and my previous teams wrangled HTTP headers through Plugs or, very often, through copy-pasted code, many many times.

BartOtten

BartOtten

Plus:

  • you can test it without running an extra service
  • you can use libs to form BEAM clusters, sharing cache (or broadcast cache updates)
  • one less single point of failure

But before you go the extra cache route: make sure you need it!

  • most databases already have build-in (very powerful) caching. Their default settings are always on the safe side memory wise and mot always adjusted to the amount of cheap memory available in machines today. As a result they cache a lot less than your machine can handle. So before anything else: learn how to tweak the database settings.
  • even simple caching layers add code and complexity.
  • have seen many projects with fancy (but complex) caching layers only to have 100 requests…per hour.
tangui

tangui

I have actually :sweat_smile:, released these libraries a few months ago.

For now only with a memory backend, WIP for the disk backend.

I released it because of a not so great experience with Varnish. As @BartOtten put it it brings:

plus many other things, like programmatically accessing the cache in addition to the implemented libs (eg., you can cache chunks of a list response so that individual objects are cache as well). It integrates well with the existing tools we use (telemetry for instance).

kanishka

kanishka OP

To clarify, I am only looking for setting http headers to enable client to cache.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews