Hello Elixir World (Introductions thread)

Hi everyone! :wave:

Itā€™s been quite time ago that I have joined this forum, but I never introduced myself here, so here I go! :smile:

My name is IvĆ”n GonzĆ”lez, Iā€™m a passionate software developer from the north of Spain, interested in all kind of technologies. I have been working with Ruby and Rails almost my entire professional career, but last year I started to switch into Elixir and Phoenix, and now I use them in my current company to develop new products and I couldnā€™t be more happy.

You can find me over the internet as dreamingechoes, e.g. on Twitter or Github.

I used to write blog posts about software development and that kind of stuff some time ago but now Iā€™m finishing my new website so I hope to put some content on the internet again ASAP and contribute on this amazing community.

8 Likes

Hi there, Iā€™m Michał Turek (Slayful) from Poland, I used to consider myself a Java developer at heart, but now that Iā€™m exploring Elixir Iā€™m not that sureā€¦

You can check me out on Github or Twitter.

7 Likes

My name is Jon - I both live and work near Grand Central in NYC.

8 Likes

Hello gang,

My name is Yevhenii, Iā€™m a software developer who is happy to work with Ruby/Elixir on the daily basis

7 Likes

Hey everyone,

Iā€™m Jason, and Iā€™m a Elixir developer hailing from Honolulu, Hawaii. Came to Elixir/Phoenix by way Rails and Iā€™m super glad to be here and to be able to work on production Elixir code!

8 Likes

Hello, world!

Iā€™m Massimiliano Bertinetti from Italy!

6 Likes

My name is Adolfo Neto. I am an Associate Professor at Federal University of Technology - ParanĆ”. I live in Curitiba, Brazil. I am a big fan of Lisp, Clojure and Prolog. As Elixir is based on Erlang (whose syntax is inspired by Prolgg), is a functional language and was created by a Brazilian, I had to try to learn it. I am reading Programming Elixir.

7 Likes

Hi I am Chris from London (UK)

My day job is mostly Groovy and I work a fair bit with BiqQuery.

I am still learning Elixir/Phoenix

I use a mixture of Windows, Ubuntu and Macs so have found some of the problems of non-portable hex packages.

6 Likes

Hey @adolfont, Iā€™m from Curitiba too and we are organizing our first elixir meetup here!!! Please join us!!!

4 Likes

Hi, my name is Matthias and i live currently near to Vienna.

7 Likes

Hi, my name is Szymon and Iā€™m from Poland. I come from Ruby / Rails world and I simultaneously learn and use Elixir / Phoenix / MongoDB stack in my current API project for about 3 months now. It was preety tough at the beginnig, especially without any prior experience in functional programming, Erlang or even Mongo database, but now I really starting to like that language as well as functional paradigm. Currently going through ā€œProgramming Elixirā€ book.

7 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Andrei from Brazil. Decided to learn a functional language here I am.

So far so good =P

7 Likes

Hey Andrei!!! Welcome! Where in Brazil do you live?

5 Likes

Brusque, Santa Catarina. Not too far from Curitiba xD

6 Likes

Indeed! Really near! Iā€™m catarinense too. Born on Massaranduba, SC.

5 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Bruce from the USA. My background is mostly Ruby/Rails and I am picking up Elixir. So far itā€™s great!

5 Likes

Hello I am studying elixir from S. Korea

8 Likes

Iā€™m Lexin Gong from China. Iā€™m a ruby developer and learning Elixir right now.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve decided to pick up Elixir due to it using the Erlang VM. Iā€™ve wanted to learn Erlang for quite some time but never gotten around to it due to the more limited scope itā€™s useful for. Elixir, combined with Phoenix, is rather user friendly in comparison and Iā€™m currently using it to build a web app.

Hello to you all!

8 Likes

Hi,
I am Valentin from Graz. I am studying ā€œInformationmanagementā€ at a University of applied science. I came to Elixir through my master thesis I am currently writing. It is about business process management and how to implement a special kind of runtime for them.

I really like programming in Elixir. It just seems more natural to me than typical OO languages (I mostly programmed in Java before that). With Java i always had the feeling that most systems are overengineered and more complicated than needed. Lets see if my own hype about Elixir will settle down or not :slight_smile:

10 Likes