Hello Elixir World (Introductions thread)

Hello Valentin, here is Matthias from Wiener Neudorf :wink:

7 Likes

Hello Elixir World!
Iā€™m Olivier from Switzerland. I studied biology but then switched to IT business. I learned functional programming with Haskell, but now want to learn Elixir for its very nice Phoenix framework. Iā€™ve used Ruby on Rails in the past and loved it, but I really enjoy functional programming and Phoenix/Elixir seem to bring the best of both RoR and functional programming.

10 Likes

Hello everyone,

I have been around for a while, but did not introduce myself yet, I am very pleased to have received MOTM this month, so it is about the time to present myself.

I am Koko from Geneva/Switzerland. I am a former chess master, turned to IT/Linux, Ruby, JS and Elixir. I got smashed by FPā€¦ so different, and yet so powerful.

I enjoy been here, trying to help if I can, but also to learn a lot from bright people hanging around.

11 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Alex, Iā€™m from Toronto, Canada currently living in Medellin, Colombia.

I actually came from Java (Spring), and only after learning about Elixir finally bit the bullet and tried ruby as well, though I personally liked hanami more so than rails :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hello everyone
Really liking this community after a few days immersed here. Iā€™m Tyler from Seattle these days and years back was a Prolog programmer. I remember experimenting with erlang years ago hoping to go functional in the internet world but couldnā€™t economically make it work. When I heard about Elixir was like THIS IS ITā€¦ the solution! Now itā€™s all I want to program in.
Looking forward to many years programming with you all.
Cheers!

12 Likes

Hello Elixir World

Iā€™m LĆ”szlĆ³ from Hungary where I work remotely for a cooperative based in London called 100Starlings. I have been doing Ruby development for more than a decade and have played with Elixir for a couple years now. However, we recently started our first serious Elixir project.

Hoping to be helpful in the community.

Let me know if youā€™re also from Hungary. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Ahoy, Iā€™m Bonk from SF!

8 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m Micael from Portugal, Iā€™ve been working with Ruby on Rails and stumbled upon elixir/erlang/functional programming somehow, read a bit, it made sense so I started learning it - Iā€™m building a game with elixir/phoenix/vue and so far itā€™s been amazing - I almost donā€™t feel like writing ruby anymore - plus, the game is about wizardry, so elixir fits right in there with the potions and stuff

10 Likes

Hi, I am Ryan from Laos :laos:. I program as a hobby and previously used C# and JavaScript. Just started learning Elixir and enjoying it!

10 Likes

Iā€™m w33 and I live in China. Iā€™m a beginner in the programmer world. Try to program something that let me feel awesome.

12 Likes

Hello World, I am Tomaz from Slovenia, Europe. Nice to meet you.

11 Likes

Hello Elixir World, My name is Saint from Philippines. :sunny:

10 Likes

After ten years of commercial programmingā€¦
Next after two years of zero LoC at all I feel little hungry once moreā€¦
Now learning Elixir, coz there can be some power in this magic potion maybeā€¦

Marcin greets from Poland.

12 Likes

Hello, World! Iā€™m Alibek, never learned functional programming languages. Super excited about getting to know more about Elixir!

10 Likes

Hi everybody! Iā€™m Maciej, currently a front end developer, but I wanted to expand my horizons a little and Elixir got my attention :wink:

10 Likes

Hello to everyone! I am Ahmet from Istanbul/Turkey.

11 Likes

Hello World, I am Ramon from Brazil, nice meet you all!

10 Likes

Hello world! I am currently traveling around in an RV while working as a freelancer. I started out with Ruby and just recently moved to Elixir.

12 Likes

Hello,
Iā€™m Mohamed, from Egypt, but living now in Greater Boston Area. Working as a Full Stack developer, mainly with React and nodejs. But so interested in functional programming paradigm (Iā€™ve been trying to write functional code in JS, itā€™s tough but with ES6 itā€™s a bit easier).
I went to Bostonā€™s Elixir meetup for the first time and it was fun. Now Iā€™m amazed by the Elixir capabilities, especially the readability of code and how simple the language is. The community is amazing too. So I hope I can work someday with it :heart:

15 Likes

Hi all, I realize I havenā€™t posted in this thread yet. I am from NY (USA) and currently building a weather station with Nerves and Elixir. Having a lot of fun doing it, you can find blog posts here. The language I use daily for work is Scala, however I find Elixir much more enjoyable to write. Hoping to meet more Elixirists/Alchemists at Lonestar Elixir at the end of this month. Travel was $$$ but you only live once!

12 Likes