Hello Elixir World (Introductions thread)

Hello there!

My name is Valentin. I from Virginia, USA. I have just started experimenting with Elixir and I love it.

Cheers,
Valentin

9 Likes

Hi everyone !

Julien, Rails guy, from France.

Also looking for people who would like to help develop the Elixir/Phoenix french-speaking community !

9 Likes

Hi everyone!

Nathaniel Suchy, from the United States.

Iā€™m fairly new to the Elixir scene but looking forward to learning more :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hello to everybody, I am Roman from Ukraine.

I have been working as a developer four years now, but started trying my skills on toy projects for almost 7 years. Started as a backend Java developer at the time I was learning about this language in university.

Iā€™ve always been interested in working with technologies and learning some new languages for me. At work I started working with Ruby on Rails project and was amused about the language and all those features, that it provides, about easiness of package management (after Java Maven bundler was like a miracle).

Also at work I got aquainted with Clojure, and basics of functional programming. After some struggling with implementing loop with own functions which included state mutation, I discovered the api of map, reduce, filter and other things that can make code more concise and stable. So Iā€™ve been searching for the elements of functional programming in every new language I learnt.

Also application deployment was one of my tasks for some projects, so Iā€™ve some experience with Ansible, Docker and shell scripting. Remote debugging and file editing is a critical part of deployment, so Iā€™ve spent a lot of time in the shell.

For my masterā€™s thesis Iā€™ve chosen a theme connected with machine learning, and learnt basics of Python for this task. At that time Iā€™ve found it very handy to work in the repl. Though at that time some encountered languages allowed working in repl, Iā€™ve got familiar with it only at that time.

I find debugging workflow very productive way to write new stuff, so setting breakpoint in IDE and then building new code step by step can help develop faster. I knew that there are also shell debuggers, but IDE features seemed easier to work with.

So I think it is a good opportunity to be free of the dependency on IDE, especially when youā€™re working remotely in the shell. It was a decision to learn how to work in the shell, and without mouse. So I started learning shell editors, and decided to give vim a try. I think it is a very nice editor, and vi part is included in most distros, which is very handy.

It turned out that old habits of editing were faster than trying to remember some basic steps of how to move somewhere more efficiently. After some unsuccessful retries of moving to vim, Iā€™ve switched off vim keybindings in my IDE. I knew that there is some another approach of learning vim.

By that time Elixir language came out before me. Iā€™ve known that it was for some years already, and syntax looked familiar after working with Ruby. Also I was toying with Erlang very little before. I think these languages are great, so decided to learn something about them.

Iā€™ve chosen Programming Phoenix as a book to read alongside with vim learning. So done examples from there with adaptation to the most recent version of Phoenix and Elixir. There were some minor incompatibilities, but they can be fixed easily. This book is great, but I lacked experience to embrace it full, because of only rudimentary knowledge of the language, so decided to learn more about the language itself.

The next book Iā€™ve started reading, but not finished yet is Elixir and Elm Tutorial, which provides introduction to both languages.

Also I read great books Programming Elixir, Elixir in action, and want to read Metaprogramming Elixir.

Examples from ā€œProgramming Phoenixā€ helped me to got familiar with basic vim features, alongside with iex. All those examples were done in the shell, without any GUI IDE. Elixir support in vim plugin seemed very comfortable for me, but my vim skills were very bad, to do something efficiently, so Iā€™ve found excellent Practical Vim book and worked through it. I think this book is great and planning to re-read it some day, because some examples need more time to master. It made editing more efficient and aware of possibilities.

Alongside with working in vim, I needed something more portable, than yakuake windows to work in shell. At first several days I tried screen to do terminal multiplexing, but then discovered Tmux, and that was another development time saver. After toying with it for a while I decided to read a book about it, and that was tmux 2, which also improved my shell integration. Although my Caps is not remapped yet :slight_smile:

There is also multiple shell editors with vim keybindings, to edit Elixir files, like vim itself, neovim, spacemacs, SpaceVim, space-vim (which comfortable for me at the moment, because it saves some default keybindings which Iā€™ve found useful for my current workflow). Also it is interesting to learn more about emacs, but I think it will be later.

My repl-driven worklow is comfortable for me, and I try to continue to improve it. Skills, achieved during toying with elixir proved themselves useful during development of work inner project based on Django. Though IDE autoimport feature is better for Python and Typescript, than in Vim plugins I used, but other things are rather useful, like vim-surround plugin.

I think Elixir and Erlang will be a good fit for development of heavy-loaded and interactive applications, so now Iā€™m investing some time in learning it.

Though I can work with those html layouts, css, js, I like backend and deployment better, and want to give drab a try someday. It seems very interesting for me.

Some days ago I was trying to setup Elixir 1.6 and Erlang up and running on the Armbian for OrangePi aarch64 board, to continue studying remote editing, and found asdf application appropriate for this task. Even latest postgres version was built with this application. Though pc operates faster, than OrangePi, but I think, the task of remote application development interesting, and naturally limits some sorts of GUI programming.

Iā€™d like to thank everybody, who had a courage to read through this text. It would be great if it will provide some insights or interesting moments for someone :smile:

10 Likes

Hello elixir users!

I am ChangJoo Park from South Korea

I use Phoenix Framework for my toy project :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hi. Iā€™m Zuwa from Nigeria. Worked in the US for several years doing Mumps programming (GT.m and InterSystems). Now switching to Go and Elixir. Functional programming is a heckuva switch but Elixir is quite fascinating. I tried Haskell awhile back but just couldnā€™t wrap my noggin around it. Having fun with Elixir though.

11 Likes

Iā€™m Dan from the USA. Iā€™m in the process of learning more about Elixir to try to move a rails backend over to Elixir.

10 Likes

You might like to add your company to this list, once your project is in production:
http://elixir-companies.com/

8 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Steve from Cache Valley, Utah, USA. Love this forum!

8 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Arif Hussain Bangash, a geologist turned web developer.

9 Likes

Ohh how did I missed this thread :open_mouth:?
But itā€™s never late for introduction, so here is mine :sunglasses:.
Hello world,
This is Aditya ( aadii). A js developer from India, who is exploring the phoenix framework. I am really happyšŸ˜ to find this awesome place to learn along with lot of awesome minds.
Cheers to elixir learning.:smiley:

10 Likes

Hello world!

I am Antonio, from Mexico

Iā€™m considering Elixir for a project

10 Likes

Hello Elixir Community, I am Joaquin Alcerro from Honduras.

I have been in the IT industry for more than 15 year. I can say that I am a IT Generalist, meaning that I know a little bit of many IT Fields like Server Infrastructure, Switching, Routing, Security, Cloud IT, IT Sales, e-government and a bit of something else.

Previous to Elixir y used Ruby on Rails por about a year or so but found Elixir and now I have around 1.5 - 2 years with it. I have one Web Application in production and learning every day.

I am looking forward to work in Open Source projects and meet you all.

Happy coding for all.

11 Likes

Hello Elixir World :slight_smile:

I could live without Elixir but life would not be the sameā€¦

I am from Portugal but leaving in Scotland and working as a backend developer for Mobile APIā€™s.

10 Likes

Hi, elixir! my name is Ji Wong Park from South Korea. nice to meet you.

8 Likes

Hi everybody,
I am S., I am from Python/OOP

5 Likes

Hello World, Carlos (soteras) from BraziL!!! Elixir dev.

6 Likes

Hello Elixir World from Canada.

Iā€™m a backend developer, mainly working in PHP.

Did some Erlang in school about 10 years ago and have always been curious about looking at it again. Recently been getting up to date on Erlang and Elixir.

Very excited for what it holds for the future.

I prefer to learn by doing and building projects which I am trying to do now :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hello World, Iā€™m Almog from Australia Sydney

5 Likes

Hello world, Iā€™m Allen from Boston Massachusetts.

7 Likes