Hello Elixir World (Introductions thread)

Hello everyone! I think I missed my introduction too.

My name is James Wheaton and I am some kind of software engineer, but I like to think of myself as a systems engineer. I don’t use Elixir at work yet, but I will be advocating for its use at the soonest opportunity. So that means I like to learn and play with Elixir in my free time. Elixir has created a wonderful community and I am happy to call it home :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi every one first of all I am very happy to be part of this community learning elixir from couple of month now. coming from javascript background the syntax was unfamiliar but but but it has changed me about how to write better ,robust code and i am glad i choose this. Elixir is one of the best language i have ever learned and proud of. now planning to start learning phoenix framework…

6 Likes

Hi @piyushcoader. I hope you have a great stay here and that you enjoy
learning and working with Elixir and Phoenix. If you’re just starting out
and are at the very early stages be sure to look around the forum and read
about the Elixir books and how the other users have been learning Elixir!

4 Likes

thank you so much i will defiantly

6 Likes

Hello everyone!
My name is Denis, I am from Moscow, Russia.
I have a passion for IT - I have been working for 10+ years mostly as database administrator.
I felt that I should move in direction of programming :slight_smile:
Elixir and Phoenix changed Ruby and Ruby on Rails on this way. I use it for my own several projects.

11 Likes

Hello World.

My name is Juan Miguel from Barcelona.

8 Likes

Hi! Hilder Santos, from Brazil. Came from PHP, felt in love with Elixir. :purple_heart:

8 Likes

Hello, OvermindDL1 from the USA, working in the educational sector, been with Erlang for almost a decade, Elixir recently.

8 Likes

Hi, I’m Egor from Russia, living in Chiang Mai, Thailand. The past 6 years I was doing CoffeeScript/Node.js almost exclusivly.

Currently I’m learning Elixir, and it’s hard to express how much I love it. :smiley:

7 Likes

I’m Bas, from Holland, have been living in China for the last 3 years.
Started programming around 8 years ago writing game hacks in C, after that went into PHP and Java. Switched to Ruby and Rails 3 rails ago, haven’t looked back since, until I found Elixir.

7 Likes

Tell us more about your Master’s thesis please.

4 Likes

Hello World! I’m Willie from Malaysia. I’m just 2 years into Ruby on Rails.
I’ve been curious about functional programming and currently trying out Elixir and Phoenix for fun.

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Iain from Scotland. From what I gather I must be one of the few newcomers that isn’t familiar with RoR. However, I do like the Ruby-style syntax (over Erlang’s).

I previously learned me a bit of Haskell for great good. I now hoping to learn Elixir for great fun! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hello! I am Joey from the Philippines. Eager to learn Elixir/Phoenix :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi everyone, I am Feixiong from China, I can’t express my mood in english, because so many 老司机(master, old driver, experienced people) here. excited!!

6 Likes

What kind of education? Are you a teacher? :slight_smile: University Professor?

4 Likes

Hello all. I’m Darek from Poland; Python guy, Elixir enthusiast.

7 Likes

Hello @pancake, if you’re interested there’s going to be Elixir Live in the 2nd of December in Warsaw!

5 Likes

Yup, I know, I can’t wait :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hello folks! I’m Mathijs from the Netherlands. Currently i’m a ruby on rails developer and willing to learn Elixir :slight_smile:

6 Likes