How fast do you type - what is your WPM?

Check here and post up your scores… I bet I am one of the slowest :lol:

Mine (at a fairly relaxed ‘normal’ pace)

Your score: 283 CPM (that is 57 WPM)

Your score beats or equals 76.45% of all.

In fairness, I hate my keyboard - I went for the Apple wireless keyboard as (at the time) they didn’t have the full size keyboard in wireless. It is quite a bit squished up. I’m not a touch typist but am definitely going to look at getting a better keyboard.

I changed my keyboard to Kinesis Advantage 2 and my the layout to Colemak in one step about a month ago. At the moment I am able to type about 25 WPM. A month ago it was about 100 WPM.

3 Likes

Which keyboard were you using previously and how long have you had the KS2? Will be interesting hearing how fast you eventually get with your new KB…

Your score: 471 CPM (that is 94 WPM)

Your score beats or equals 97.6% of all.

In reality, you typed 478 CPM, but you made 1 mistake (out of 94 words), which was not counted in the corrected scores.

:bullettrain_front: :checkered_flag:

I’m a bit of a mechanical keyboard enthusiast. I have a Quickfire Rapid Stealth with mx brown switches, a Kul ES-87 with mx clears, and a Code Keyboard with mx greens.

Picture: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

1 Like

Well, this was fun

Your score: 457 CPM (that is 91 WPM)
Your score beats or equals 97.02% of all.
In reality, you typed 461 CPM, but you made 1 mistake (out of 81 words), which was not counted in the corrected scores.
1 Like

Bit off the pace, best I could muster was 50wpm! Must do better! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I made 73 wpm. Definitely wish I could type a bit faster. I feel like I hit a wall around that amount though and can’t quite get things to flow well enough to get 80+

1 Like

131 WPM with 2 mistakes.

This test really only does words per minute. I have a feeling I’m much slower typing code.

1 Like

When you write code, you need to actually think much more about what you are writing, also you have to type much more stuff, that is not a word but some arbitrary random syntax or bracket and therefore use modifier keys so much more often.

1 Like

My typing test score: 261 CPM (that is 52 WPM)

1 Like

Your score: 367 CPM (that is 73 WPM)
Your score beats or equals 90.13% of all.
In reality, you typed 426 CPM, but you made 9 mistakes (out of 73 words), which were not counted in the corrected scores.

Instead of "common", you typed "commone".
Instead of "car", you typed "catr".
Instead of "short", you typed "shoert".
Instead of "every", you typed "ievery".
Instead of "minute", you typed "minutre".
Instead of "watch", you typed "wathc".
Instead of "people", you typed "peoeple".
Instead of "strong", you typed "string".
Instead of "and", you typed "adn".

But then in reality I’m hardly ever typing actual words or sentences, and auto complete / snippets do most of the work for me :wink:

1 Like

As I wrote, I got the Kinesis Advantage 2 four weeks ago. I used the Apple Magic keyboard before.

In the beginning it was really strange to type with my hands separated so far. And Colemak is not that fun when you are used to write with vim or spacemacs - but now it works after some really painful weeks. About 25 WPM is enough to survive and I become better day by day.

1 Like

Yeah this test is purely a reading comprehension back to typing it out. About everyone I’ve seen can type faster than they can ‘read then type’ if typing out something prepared in memory.

1 Like

Your score: 548 CPM (that is 110 WPM)

Your score beats or equals 99.4% of all.

In reality, you typed 554 CPM, but you made 3 mistakes (out of 102 words), which were not counted in the corrected scores.

Nice to do something like this for a change.

:sunglasses:
Anyone here who beats my score? :angel:

I am still considering switching over to typing in Dvorak, which is supposed to help you type even faster because many of the common letter combinations (at least in English) then appear on the home row with alternating hands, but I haven’t had a moment to commit the time investment to do so yet.

Actually I find myself disagreeing with @OvermindDL1. In my personal experience at least, thinking/speaking is the slow factor while writing something down.

1 Like

It was actually @OvermindDL1 who inspired this thread as in a PM conversation I commented that he must be a fast typer (because his posts are often very long!) and he said he can get 100+ WPM. How does that correlate to this test ODL? :lol:

110 WPM is very fast @Qqwy!! I think you may well be our champion :003:

I’m finding myself slower on this test, only about 80-90 wpm, but I’m finding myself pausing a lot as I parse the words coming up (I seem to do them in chunks it seems), where if I’m typing up, say, a post here, I have what I want to say for an entire paragraph or twelve in my head and I just dump it out much faster without pausing. ^.^;

Definitely the reading/parsing of the data to type back out is the slowest step for me.

2 Likes

I got 71 wpm. Since I do java full time I could’ve gotten much higher if there were a bunch of: ‘!= null’ in there.

6 Likes

I can’t believe this is going to be my first post. :stuck_out_tongue:

I got 581 CPM, 545 CCPM (6 mistakes out of 105 words), so 109 WPM. That’s about the same as the last time I did a speed test… over a decade ago.

I noticed that my mistakes came in pairs: I’d screw up a word, and then get frazzled, so I’d have to hesitate and reset before I could keep going. I think that normally, I wouldn’t type for such an extended period to begin with.

I attribute my high score to having playing a text MUD as someone who was basically operating an ER manually. WPM actually made a difference in that environment and saved a few virtual lives.

3 Likes

It feels faster when I’m actually writing my personal stuff:

Your score: 254 CPM (that is 51 WPM)

In reality, you typed 264 CPM, but you made 2 mistakes (out of 48 words), which were not counted in the corrected scores.
Your mistakes were:

Instead of “does”, you typed “dies”.
Instead of “them”, you typed “then”.

But this made me to think about switching to Neo again. I tried it often already, but always when I got some “flow”, I was forced to use a QWERTZ for some time, which I had to painfully relearn it.

My experience was, that I need about 14 days to be able to use NEO on a daily basis, but having to use QWERTZ for 2 days, destroys the effort of using NEO nearly completely, and I have to start nearly from scratch. Perhaps it were easier if I had actually a (backlighted) keyboard which is labeled accordingly?

2 Likes