Mac Users Thread

Yeah RAM is always worth upgrading - 32GB is quickly going to feel lacking imo!

I generally feel the same - though I’ve never tried Linux and it was interesting learning that Saša went back to it after being a Mac user for a while. I will be interested in hearing how he feels at the 6 and 12 month mark :smiley:

But I agree, there’s so much that I like about the Apple ecosystem, even simple things like telephone call alerts on my Mac, text messages on my Mac (including auto-filling in forms when an app sends you auth codes by text, like what Namecheap does).

iPad Pro you mean? That would be pretty cool I’ve actually not seen it in action myself!

2 Likes

Yes. The iPad pro. It’s pretty awesome. For now, my 9.7" serves as my slack/iterm display. :joy:

1 Like

Cool!! You’ll have to show us it in action when you get it :003:

1 Like

After three months in, I’m still happy and don’t miss mac. But ask me again in a few months :slight_smile:

I feel that my RAM demands are significantly smaller on Linux. On Mac, I was constantly struggling with 16GB, while these days I rarely go above 8GB. To be fair I’m working on different projects, so this comparison is really shallow. Either way it feels that 32GB should serve me fine for the next few years.

In any case, the new MBP looks great, and I’m happy to see that Apple is going back to producing quality stuff :slight_smile: If the docker experience on macos is improved, I might consider moving back at some point :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would prefer to have port of FreeBSD Jails to the macOS. That would be awesome stuff that could improve BSD usage on servers.

4 Likes

That’s good to hear - though not even a little bit? Do you use an iPhone? (If so do you miss the continuity at all?)

I’m sure one of us will Saša :lol:

I have no idea why Apple are so bad with RAM - but then again it seems it may be the only way they can ‘encourage upgrades’ - CPU clock speed hasn’t changed much over the last few years , same with SSDs they are all fast enough… it’s just RAM - with the operating system and apps seemingly requiring more of it.

I agree, though I’d still be curious how much an equivalent spec’d relatively well made Linux machine would cost - which brand did you go for after? Do they have a model equivalent to these new Macs? (Perhaps we can use @factoryd’s specs/machine as a comparison point :003:)

I reckon that would be cool too :sunglasses:

1 Like

I never owned an iphone, and I completely avoided using the wider Apple ecosystem. While I probably missed some nice things, this reduced my coupling to Apple and made the switch easier :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think this could be a major part of the reason why you’re not missing your Mac - there are so many ‘nice’ features when using more than one Apple device.

For instance you can do things like:

• Copy text on one device and it paste it on another
  • Be browsing a site on one device, then go to it on another
  • iMessage from either device
  • Take telephone calls (or see an alert of who’s calling you) on your Mac
  • Receive text messages on your Mac (very handy when an app sends you an auth code via text - it even autofills it for you)
  • Apple Music automatically updated on all devices - add a track or playlist on one device it is mirrored on all of your devices
  • Notes automatically updated on all devices (I actually use this quite a bit - great for drafting and working on emails/etc)
  • Contacts and calendar updated on all devices

There’s actually a lot more you can share via iCloud (such as passwords and photos etc) but I don’t use most of it as I wouldn’t want everything I have on their servers.

What I’d love to see in Linux (well on Mac too actually!) is something that I think could attract people away from Apple - have similar functionality to iCloud but where your home computer acts as the ‘cloud’, completely eradicating the need to send your personal documents to somebody else’s server! I’m surprised this hasn’t been done yet - could be a huge draw for the security conscious.

2 Likes

I’d rephrase it a bit: it’s a major part of the reason why I’m not overly dependent on Apple :slight_smile:

The things you’re mentioning are nice, but luckily not deal-breakers for me, and some of those can be obtained through e.g. Google services (e.g. contacts/calendar).

But yeah, when considering a possible switch, you should definitely take into account how much are you coupled to the wider Apple ecosystem.

1 Like

There are a few projects out there actually like seafile/owncloud/nextcloud. The main issue is that most people use things like icloud out of convenience.

I’ve tried MANY times to move to linux but as I get older I simply don’t have the time or energy to maintain my computers e.t.c. I don’t like particularly like Apple as a company but their ecosystem does just work.

Just last year I prepared myself for the switch to linux by switching all services to multiplatform ones (dropbox/spotify/lastpass) and sold every Apple device except my MacBook Pro. Just as the hundreds of previous attempts before… I gave up.

I’ve since bought a new iPhone, AirPods, iPad and I’m about to buy the new MacBook Pro. I don’t like the situation but my life is a lot simpler.

2 Likes

I just don’t like the UI’s in Linux. (I set up Linux and manage it for servers.)

3 Likes

What’s wrong with KDE I’m curious? Perhaps in the linux users thread though. ^.^;
KDE can look an awful lot like anything you can imagine (even some test 3D interfaces at this point).

2 Likes

Did you make a conscious decision to steer clear of other Apple products? If so how comes? (I mean, have they annoyed you in some way/you’re not a fan of their business practices or dominance/or just don’t like their other products?)

Just curious :upside_down_face:

Personally I love Apple products, but am increasingly falling out of love with Apple as a company - they make way too much profit out of us and sometimes just seem out of touch with users of their products.

The more reliant on them I become the more concerned I feel about them as a company as well. I think at some point there will come an end to private corporations being in control of consumer devices that are so integral to our lives (perhaps after some major breach/scandal)… but perhaps that’s a topic for another thread :lol:

Are those like iCloud but just on someone else’s servers? Or can you run those on your home computer (or home server) and essentially that becomes the ‘cloud’ for you and your family?

You sound like what I think I would be like… if I gave myself a chance to get to that stage :lol:

I never quite get there because I’m fairly sure the experience wouldn’t be anywhere near close. Even things like airdrop - if there’s something on my phone or Mac I can quickly transfer it without even having to accept on the other device, because it knows they’re both mine. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve taken a photo and transferred it straight on to my Mac with essentially one tap.

Nice! Which MBP are you getting? Have you decided on specs? Check out the specs in @factoryd’s post here: :003:

While I love the look, I think (and I’m guessing @sribe also feels the same) it’s more about the feel - how you feel when using it. This was the biggest thing I noticed when I moved over from Windows. Mac OS felt different, felt right.

I reckon most people living with a Mac as their full time machine for several months would probably feel similarly - imo anyway :lol:

1 Like

The main reason is that I’m skeptical of overly smart external services. I do most of my work locally, which means that I avoid working with e.g. Google docs & such. If I want to sync things between multiple machines, I prefer plain file sharing such as Dropbox or sharing a folder via local network. I feel that this gives me more control and freedom to choose whichever software I want.

In addition, I don’t own a pad, and I don’t like to use phone for anything more involved. So, many of the benefits you mentioned earlier are mostly irrelevant to me.

So in hindsight, this strategy turned out nice, because I ended up being more decoupled from Apple, and so the switch was easier. It’s not easy though, but IME any OS switch is initially difficult. I remember that during my first month with Apple I considered going back to Linux :smiley:

I agree with this. I was just explaining this last night to a friend who’s always been using Windows. I’m not sure I can pinpoint some particular features which makes macos stand out from the crowd. To me it feels that the win is instead in many small things which somehow combine nicely together and create a smooth and an intuitive UX.

3 Likes

System Preferences vs the usability abomination that was born from Control Panel probably sums up the difference in feel between Mac & Windows.

3 Likes

For me it was the other way around. Mac’s System Preferences is simply no match to Windows Local Group Policy Editor, setting everything the way I want on Mac’s was always so much harder than in Windows. I use for work Linux because everything just works here, but still when it comes to setting things up correctly, Windows is the easiest one (and I don’t even mean the registry editor).

1 Like

I have 2017 15 inches and already repaired my keyboard once. The good thing is they didn’t charge me as it comes under apple keyboard repair program and they replaced the entire assembly including the entire keyboard, trackpad, and battery.

1 Like

Well, my repair was just new left command key. :man_shrugging: But at least it took only 24 hours and was for free.

1 Like

My keyboard had 4 sticky keys, and they gave it back after 2 days.

1 Like

Fair enough - I mostly have a fleet of one laptop to look after (well one Mac, one Windows & one Linux), and I often feel like I’m going round in circles trying to find a logical place for a setting on Windows. Maybe because I went 10 years with hardly touching it. But a good example is the firewall settings - I navigated from network settings and now have three completely different user interfaces open, all from from different eras (excluding the starting point, which is still open) to look at whether it is enabled, what apps are allowed to communicate through it and “advanced settings”. It might be powerful and automatable, but it’s really messy and that’s the “feel” I think we’re talking about.

1 Like