Please recommend Elixir + Phoenix Resources, Communities, etc

Hello Elixir Community,

My name is Justin Juno. I know the development community is saturated with tutorials, books, and other content (there is even a category in this forum dedicated to it).

But as a father of twins, I unfortunately don’t have an abundance of time to set aside for learning. So when I’m able to study, I want to make sure that the content I’m taking in is best practice and applicable in real world production environments. That said . . .

• What are/were your “go-to” resources for learning Elixir/Phoenix? (Paid or free is fine)
  • Is there specific communities I should be involved in or aware of?
  • Are there specific talks or developers I should watch/follow?

Thanks in advance for your time and help. Sorry if it has been posted/asked too much. I’m just entirely new to Elixir and don’t know where to start. :man_shrugging:

P.S. If you’re interested in learning more about me and my experience, feel free to check out my site. I’ve been working professionally as a frontend/javascript engineer for a few years, primarily in EdTech, but have recently been doing more contract work that spans into other industries.

4 Likes

Hi Justin, welcome :smiley:

Here’s what I almost always recommend based on what I’ve read/done to date myself :003: (I’ll add/recommend more as and when I read more of them).

Check out my reviews in each of those threads for more of my thoughts on them too :slight_smile:

I am currently reading…

And am loving it as well :orange_heart:

There are loads more worth reading here: Books check their threads for reviews/comments :023:

5 Likes

Hey Justin! Welcome! I’m happy to hear you’re checking out Elixir.

I put together a list of resources that I found really helpful when I was learning Elixir. Check it out and feel free to add a PR for more good resources you might come across. I’ll point out some of the really good ones here.

What are/were your “go-to” resources for learning Elixir/Phoenix? (Paid or free is fine)

Is there specific communities I should be involved in or aware of?

You already found one of the biggest Elixir communities here at ElixirForum! There’s also an Elixir subreddit. Twitter’s also pretty alive with Elixir folks.

Are there specific talks or developers I should watch/follow?

Yes, this one called The Soul of Erlang and Elixir

3 Likes

Will do! Thanks for sharing. :pray:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I’m also pretty active on Twitter, if you or anyone else wants to connect there: JustinJunoDev

Welcome!

Aside from what’s already been mentioned (definite +1 on “Elixir in Action”) I’d recommend joining the Elixir Slack (https://elixir-slackin.herokuapp.com/).

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. Just joined! :+1:

Welcome @justinjunodev

I can still recommend https://exercism.io/tracks/elixir

3 Likes

This looks cool! I’ve always been a fan of coding challenges. :+1:

1 Like