AstonJ
Don’t forget you can get 35% off the ebook using the code ‘devtalk.com’ ![]()
Current: Search
Original: Search
For those looking for an update to this book, please see this post.
Trending in Books
Bruce A. Tate @redrapids and Sophie DeBenedetto @SophieDeBenedetto
edited by Jacquelyn Carter @jkcarter
The days of the traditional requ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
AstonJ
Does anyone know if the only major difference between the current version of the book and Phoenix 1.3 is Contexts?
If so I think I am going to start on this book next
Also for those of you who have read it, how long did it take you to read? What did you think of it?
kelvinst
It took me 4-5 days to complete, but I red it during all my work hours (8 hours day), and skipping some exercises.
I found the book a lot helpful! Every now and then I get back to some chapters for examples. Also, the app built from scratch on the book is very interesting and complete for study purposes.
tme_317
There are other minor subtle differences you’ll find besides v1.3 contexts and related directory structure changes.
I think the book was published in April 2016 so it actually targets Phoenix v1.1.x and Ecto v1.x so some of the frequently used functions (such as
Ecto.Changeset.cast/4) are deprecated or changed. Also the book doesn’t cover current best practices such as not callingRepoin your controllers, the use ofmodelsrather thanschemas, etc.With your experience I’m sure you will be able to easily work through the differences but newbies would struggle a bit more. For their sake (and to see new intermediate level material) I’m really looking forward to seeing the updated book published.
All of that said, it’s certainly an excellent book which took me (as a newbie only having read PragDave’s book first) ~5 days to work through.
AstonJ
Ah right, thanks… I think in that case I might hold off. I generally only read a book once and so I think I’d prefer to wait until it’s updated. I also hope to blog about learning Elixir and Phoenix at some point so it makes sense to cover an up to date version.
I wonder if @chrismccord could give us a status update please? Is a release imminent or is there quite a bit of work still left to do Chris?
chrismccord
Targeting EOY for the next edition release
AstonJ
Thanks Chris - if your plans change please let us know
I wonder if I might be able to get away with the guides for now… actually I’ll post a separate thread to save this one going off topic
riga
The Programming Phoenix book seems to be a great way to get a high-level overview of the framework and make good choices right out of the gate, but it looks the publication of the 1.3 version’s been pushed back again. Any recommendations as to whether I should wait or work through the old version in the meantime? Thanks!
pesnk
For learning resource Programming Phoenix is great. I really loved it.
Once you go though the book with all the examples + explanations I suggest you go directly with 1.3. You wouldn’t lose too much and you can understand the basic concepts about phoenix just with the old book.
AstonJ
How do you know it’s been pushed back?
Chris said it should be ready around the end of the year:
peerreynders
I may have brought it up: