peerreynders
Don’t forget you can get 35% off the ebook using the code ‘devtalk.com’ ![]()
Available in Beta now
This title will be available on or about 2020-03-10
Blog: https://stephenbussey.com / (medium)
Trending in Books
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
AstonJ
I’m SO excited - can’t wait!!!

Ted
Thanks; I was puzzled for a bit when I couldn’t find it on the store front.
drl123
I emailed support and “Pat the Gerbil” responded this morning that it will be released in Beta this week.
Nefcairon
Any rumours about the author?
drl123
They just replied: Stephen Bussey
AstonJ
This Stephen Bussey @sb8244?
sb8244
Hi all, it is my book!
I haven’t discussed it anywhere yet because it hasn’t officially gone into beta, but it’s very soon. I’m not sure I can give out a timeline just in case it needs to be adjusted in any way. (Hopefully it won’t be!)
edit: I’ll also be at ElixirConf this week. My colleague, Grant, and I are leading a training on Tuesday about real-time applications in Elixir. Feel free to chat about the book or anything else if you see me.
AstonJ
Congrats Stephen! I can’t wait
I’m not sure if it’ll be feasible for a book like this, but could you try and make it e-reader friendly if at all possible please? (More details in my Programming Ecto (Pragprog) - #40 by AstonJ review.)
Can you also share some brief details about the book and what it might cover? Personally I’d love to see how to use LiveView for things like site-wide notifications and it would be great if you cover such a topic
I’m guessing you already have, but it may also be worth looking through the liveview tag to see what people have been trying to do with it (which might give you some ideas for the book).
Good luck and please keep us updated
sb8244
Thanks for that link. I thought maybe it was related to a technical aspect of e-readers, but I see it’s about the flow of the book. I think it should have a similar flow, because Pragmatic really spends a lot of time on making sure that the particular type of flow you mentioned is used in their books (at least the Elixir ones). My editor has been great on that front. If you do find anything that’s not friendly, I’d definitely look at correcting during the beta period.
The book has 3 parts that focus on different aspects of real-time systems and Phoenix Channels. Deeper foundation dive into WebSockets, all about Phoenix Channels, and moving into concepts like building a data pipeline with GenStage (one of my favorite parts). Future chapters get into turning all of that foundational knowledge into a real application.
The great thing about LiveView is that once you understand the foundations of Channels, PubSub, and general real-time concepts, it becomes very easy to understand LiveView. I’m hoping that these foundations will get developers going in the best way possible.
AndyL
@sb8244 really look forward to the book. Content request: plz cover how to hot-upgrade socket connections and LiveViews, so I don’t bring down long-lived subscriptions during updates.