mgwidmann

mgwidmann

Having a lot of trouble getting this to work with a local Docker instance… I am trying to basically do the following:

  1. Run docker-compose up (on my machine or a remote)
  2. Start a local iex and start :observer
  3. Use the observer gui to connect to the remote host

I have figured out I need to do the following (but theres likely more I’m missing)

  • Add :runtime_tools to the :extra_applications section of my mix.exs file.
  • Expose the epmd port 4369 (maybe? I read somewhere it doesn’t allow external connections)
  • Set the cookie and name of the app

I cannot get a Node.ping/1 from my local to the docker instance to go through. Connecting from within the docker instance works fine but it doesnt have the display necessary to run observer (and I don’t want to forward it because I plan to use this against a remote docker in prod and I dont want the observer gui included). What am I missing?

Here are some of the resources I’ve come across (none of which have been any help)

Showing Posts 1 to 7

bitwalker

bitwalker

Leader

My recommendation would be to use ssh and forward the ports across that connection, it won’t require you to expose the node, the connection will be encrypted, and you can secure it much better. To connect remotely though, you need to expose the epmd port, as well as the ephemeral range used for individual sessions, and make sure to configure that range in the kernel settings for distribution (you can find those in the erlang man page for the kernel app). I believe that’s all that’s needed. You can definitely connect to epmd remotely, that’s key to how erlang distribution works.

mgwidmann

mgwidmann OP

Yeah so I changed the epmd port in my docker instance so it wouldn’t conflict with the one running on my local machine by setting the environment variable ERL_EPMD_PORT to 43699 instead of the default 4369. But it sounds like I need to expose the port in which erlang distribution connects through. When I connect to the docker instance and run epmd -names it outputs a random port value, how can I set that to a specific range that I can then expose through docker?

mgwidmann

mgwidmann OP

Ok so I found how to set the min and max ports, heres my vm.args file:

-sname myapp
-kernel inet_dist_listen_min 6000 inet_dist_listen_max 6999
-cookie myapp

And my Dockerfile has

EXPOSE 6000-6100

With my docker-compose.yml

    ports:
      - "4000:4000"
      - "43699:43699"
      - "6000-6100:6000-6100"

And when I connect to my docker instance and run epmd -names I see the following:

$ docker exec -it f231ddad1d52 /bin/bash                                                                 ‹ruby-2.3.3›
root@f231ddad1d52:/app# epmd -names
epmd: up and running on port 43699 with data:
name myapp at port 6000
root@f231ddad1d52:/app#

But when I connect from my local:

$ ERL_EPMD_PORT=43699 iex --sname myapp --cookie myapp --hidden                                        ‹ruby-2.3.3›
Protocol 'inet_tcp': register/listen error: epmd_close

:cry:

matiso

matiso

The reason it doesn’t work is because epmd will only listen on the loopback interface. When connecting from your machine, docker binds the exposed port over the bridge interface, and epmd rejects it because of that.

So far I haven’t found a working solution, but I’m on it. Will report back if I get it running.

mgwidmann

mgwidmann OP

Found anything on this? I’m not sure I understand how EPMD would work if it only ever listened on loopback, how would machines connect then?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I have them communicate via SSH Tunnels, but you can always set ‘public’ names -name too. I highly recommend having EPMD communicate over tunnels as even just being publicly accessible can crash the BEAM systems via a variety of ways even before they connect a node.

kaashyapan

kaashyapan

This has been a lifesaver

https://github.com/chazsconi/connect-remote-elixir-docker

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews