The Complete Elixir and Phoenix Bootcamp (Udemy/self-published)

I actually like it because it makes me feel less dumb if I don’t get something so easily - that hasn’t happened yet (probably because I already know Rails and because Stephen’s doing a great job of explaining things) but I can see it helping those who might find some of the concepts a little difficult to grasp.

+1

2 Likes

@ion - I absolutely plan to expand the course out, but I’m also hedging some risk due to Phoenix 1.3 coming out ‘Soon’. There are enough small changes to make me have to re-record all of the phoenix content I have in there already. After I get that update out, I intend to cover either some JSON API setup or OTP.

Regarding the pacing of the videos: its tough to get pacing video right in an online tutorial. Remember that for everyone who thinks the video is too slow, I have one person who thinks it is too fast :). Best policy is to move a bit slower, and let you use the ‘video speedup’ option if you want to power through it more quickly.

13 Likes

Just bought the course yesterday for 11$

So far soo good, totaly worth it!
Also would love to see more phoenix materials on the next course, with real-world sample project :smiley:

Regarding the pacing of the videos, I think it’s a bit too fast… @StephenGrider

1 Like

Can I be Goldilocks and say that the pace is ‘just right’! Seriously though, I’m enjoying the course, even though i paid $24AUD for it last week, but now the price has come down considerably. Not complaining though, very happy so far.

1 Like

The pacing isn’t a deal breaker, no worries :slight_smile:

I’m on section 10 (postgres) and the diagrammatic explanations have been helpful.

I look forward to the updates :smiley:

Thank you for putting this together!

1 Like

@StephenGrider thanks for this course! It also gave me an insight on my own learning process

1 Like

Author keeps saying objects, am I correct to assume he’s talking about Struct? All in all very good course, I’m on the phoenix section now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are no objects in Elixir (nor methods). If they are about structs, then they should be referred to as structs (or generally as data) (and use “functions” instead of “methods”).

10 Likes

This is probably my biggest criticism of the course so far - one of the reasons we get books and courses like this is because we are unfamiliar with the specifics and need to know what the exact terminology is. Also José makes a good point about methods as well - I was actually going to post on the forum to ask if we should be calling them functions or methods (which I had always thought was for OOP). @StephenGrider, do you think you could re-record or voice over the instances where you refer to things with the incorrect term? It would be a massive help.

@seniorbrusko, I think most of the time it has been structs yes, but I’ve been taking it as whatever ‘thing’ he’s been talking about at the time.

4 Likes

@AstonJ you’re right, in the Elixir part I think @StephenGrider sometimes say objects in Tuples or Maps (maybe because his discussing JS and Ruby as comparison so he gets mixed up), but his explanations are gold. Still will recommend the course, there’s nothing like it right now. Looking at you, pragmaticstudio :slight_smile:

2 Likes

wow, lucky i found this post… i am also a student of this course, so far like it… (50% half way - on phoenix part now)

but didn’t know about the object concerns raised above, as I am a noob in elixir/phoenix :slight_smile:

anyway good course though

@StephenGrider looking forward for your advanced course on phoenix/elixir :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Off-tangent, but I’ve been using Grider’s courses on ES6 and React to brush up my Javascript knowledge as well. Good stuff.

3 Likes

I love that you take 1.3 into consideration! It’s gonna be a great update and as it should be out before the end of this year, it might be acceptable to wait for new episodes until then.

Please cover OTP, as it might be one of Elixir’s main selling points. For me, it’s not that easy to understand, and your pragmatic teaching style might help a lot :wink:

1.5x is perfect :+1:

2 Likes

You should really cover OTP. It’d be a tragedy for Elixir/Phoenix to be full of devs who don’t know or bother learning the platform and just know phoenix_new.

3 Likes

I do agree with this. I’ve got a couple ideas for interesting OTP projects to tack on to the end.

4 Likes

I have finished the udemy course. For me, its really easy to understand because of the author like to explain the little things in details. cant wait for the update.

1 Like

Also bought the course. I think its good because it explains very simply and clearly the language aspects that you need to get comfortable in order to proceed with more specific Elixir and advanced topics (ie. OPT and processes).

Good job, Stephen!

1 Like

I was listening to the preview OO vs functional section and there is one thing I was wondering about. Isn’t it a bit confusing for people from an OO background to call functions in modules for methods? Because they are not methods. Which is what the section is about.

5 Likes

There is also confusion with objects/structs and a few other things iirc Robert. @StephenGrider, can you please confirm whether you will be re-recording parts of the course where these are amended please? Functional programming is a big shift for many and incorrect terminology makes things more confusing than it needs to be.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ll be addressing that with the Phoenix 1.3 update. I’m normally a stickler on terminology, so saying ‘object’ everywhere was uncharacteristic. Learning this stuff is hard enough already, so using precise terminology is key!

8 Likes