What Elixir related stuff are you doing?

I’ve been setting up some home automation set up using Nerves/Raspberry Pi Zero W, hit a bump in the road when my VM got corrupted, but I should resolve that soon…

Thinking about making an elixir client for Pandora using the unofficial api.

1 Like

Currently working on a side-project while learning Elixir and Phoenix… It will be a clone of del.icio.us bookmarking app.

2 Likes

Still just Exercism exercises, but at least I finally had a use for the with macro, which I must say I like! (It’s at http://exercism.io/submissions/9472384cbc084798873e1c770607010e.) Also have a lead on a possible consulting gig in Elixir, so I can finally get some paid Elixir experience, though I might not have time to take it.

2 Likes

Also have a lead on a possible consulting gig in Elixir, … though I might not have time to take it.

If not, make sure it gets posted to #jobs on the Elixir Slack :grinning:

1 Like

So far I’m just learning Elixir, doing some hacker rank excercises with it, following the most basic tutorials I can find online, and reading the guetting started guide from the elixir page. A few more tutorials and excercises and then I’ll start looking into Phoenix :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Been working through Elixir problems on exercism.io, it’s been pretty fun and I’ve been learning/practicing a bunch. Join the Elixir Forum team! EF Team over on exercism

2 Likes

I have just started work on a basic stocktaking app for my daughter - she owns a small convenience store. I’m using ReactJS on the frontend and Phoenix, of course, on the backend, and I finally have the chance to use some of the libraries that I have been maintaining :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I am at the level where I am writing something non-trivial for the first time with elixir and phoenix. I did my first MVC application in Chicago Boss, an early all-erlang framework. When I’m learning something new I always try to solve a problem I see in my travels as a consultant. That way the customer requirements are fresh in my head when I am designing. This time, I’m writing a supply chain management system that explores a combination of eager and lazy architecture to help solve the stresses of a large, distributed organization.

My approach this time was to take Dave Thomas’ programming course https://pragdave.me/ to get me to the level where I could think in elixir and phoenix. Then I ran through the course a second time but wrote my own api along side of Dave’s videos. Once I had the api worked out I turned to the guides and books for ecto and phoenix. If you’re starting out fresh with elixir and phoenix, I recommend this approach.

5 Likes

That’s a great idea :023:

1 Like

Doing some basic exercises i found on google, just to make my code looks like more elixirish (my code still look like js) :unamused: , and also reading Phoenix book.

3 Likes

I am re-learning Phoenix. I stopped learning and using Phoenix because I got lost and confused when 1.3 was released. Now that there are more resources about Phoenix 1.3, I feel more confident on working on my app again.

3 Likes

Actually studying programming elixir 1.3.

2 Likes

I started a company that makes practice management software for direct primary care physicians. Our clinic in South Carolina uses phoenix for our electronic medical records, billing, and scheduling. Elixir is perfectly designed for the next generation of medical applications.

4 Likes

This reminds me of Keith Gautreaux’s cool Elixir Conf 2017 Talk. He’s also using Elixir in a primary care setting:

2 Likes

Putting together a blue-green deployment pipeline for a multi application Elixir cluster with Docker, Docker-Compose, Swarm and Vagrant virtual machines as a PoC.

I wondered for a quite some time what was the best way to achieve fully automated continous deployment for large Elixir projects and teams with stateful’ish apps, long lived connections and long running tasks. I’m used to deploy in production at least 50 times a day at my day job and I can’t imagine life without continous deployment anymore :sweat_smile:. Hot code swapping is not viable for this kind of pace AFAIK. I came to the conclusion the best way was probably draining connections and isolating stateful concerns in separate apps as much as possible, although all connected to the same cluster (when not relying on foreign external storage such as Redis). This way, the main app of the cluster can be updated at will with zero downtime.

Also, dumping the state of a GenServer at termination is doable but somewhat messy when you don’t want to drop connections and you have long running tasks mutating its state, hence my decision to try a blue-green approach and isolating concerns.

Anyway, just messing around, I’ll probably put a repo online once I’m done if anyone is interested by the approach. I’m no devops and still somewhat of an Elixir newb but I’m having tons of fun.

4 Likes

Checking in on this forum.

4 Likes

Building a bot that scrapes the web with an interface through Telegram.

5 Likes

Sadly I haven’t done much recently outside of selling the idea to convert from ruby to elixir

4 Likes

I’m reading The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook, and working on feed parsing for podcasts.

4 Likes

I am working on a project that needs real time communications between mobiles and a web interface. I use phoenix on the backend, react for web interface, react-native for IOS/Android.

2 Likes