AstonJ
We often share or get asked which order of books we would recommend newcomers, so please use this thread to post your own recommendations.
If possible, please only include books that you have read yourself (or point out any books that haven’t yet read but recommend nonetheless) ![]()
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
AstonJ
Here’s my current recommendation based on what I have read myself so far…
Programming Elixir - the remainder
Why?
Programming Elixir and Elixir In Action are a fantastic combo because they cover much of the same ground, so reading them like this means you don’t really have to make notes as you’ll be repeating what you’ve learnt (which reinforces what you’ve learnt). You could probably just read Programming Elixir first then Elixir In Action mind (or the other way round if you wanted to). They are both must-reads as you get to learn about Elixir via two different (and very well respected) authors who have two different styles and approaches to the subject.
At first I thought Learn Functional Programming with Elixir would have been a great ‘first’ book when coming to Elixir, but after reading it I was glad I read it after Programming Elixir and Elixir In Action because it doesn’t really teach you the fundamentals of the language like those two do; it is more focused on functional programming (and that is very handy, particularly when you start to look at things like Phoenix and Ecto and are gearing up towards writing your first project).
The reason why I feel reading the first couple of chapters of Programming Phoenix before reading Programming Ecto is because by the time you finish Learn Functional Programming with Elixir you will be itching to get into Phoenix (as it may feel like you have waited long enough!
) plus I really loved the first couple of chapters of Programming Phoenix and by the end of them, you will be the most excited and motivated you have been to date 
I have written reviews of all of the books I have finished and they go into a bit more detail if you fancy taking a look:
Not a review but my thoughts on the initial chapters of Programming Phoenix → Programming Phoenix (Pragprog) - #18 by AstonJ
One thing is for sure, we are very lucky to have so many Elixir books and I can’t wait to read the rest of them
Cruz
Although not only about books, I really like the sequence suggested in this post by Rafael Rocha from Plataformatec:
(http://blog.plataformatec.com.br/2018/11/starting-with-elixir-the-study-guide/)
That’s because although I agree with you about Learning Functional Programming with Elixir not providing enough coverage of the language, I think most experienced developers will benefit more from a quick tutorial in how to do functional programming with Elixir. Taking the next step after that should be easier. BTW, I haven’t taken the video course suggested there, but I did buy the GraphQL one from the same authors and I’m quite happy with my purchase.
mindriot
I’d second that suggestion, I did really enjoy their elixir/opt course (part way through the graph ql one currently). My journey was a bit messed up with distractions all over the place (which I guess in reality a lot of people will have). I had worked through a lot of Programming Elixir and then not been able to go back for a few months, it provided an excellent ramp up back into things and progressed on nicely. I read Elixir in action after. Not really a recommendation of order specifically (the suggested outline is a better structure than I followed), but regardless of the book order I would highly recommend the course as a supplement in the beginner to intermediate stage or as a refresher for someone like me who had a bit of a break in the process. I thought it was excellent for bringing things together and for a little reinforcement though I would as suggested pair it with books for a deeper dive into details. The OTP section of the course was particularly well put together in my opinion.
Dusty
I think Phoenix in Action deserves a mention here as an option for position 3+ (after covering Elixir basics). It’s very well done.