AstonJ
A recent chat with @leifericf inspired this thread - he’s worked in the gaming industry, and so it got me wondering what kind of industries everyone else is working in and where Elixir might be getting used.
Please let us know where you’re working and if possible, what you’re working on! ![]()
Feel free to mention your company if they’re using Elixir!
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jswanner
I work at a consultancy, envylabs.com. I built and continue to work on a client app written in Elixir, gamedaymath.com, which is in the sports betting industry and primarily provides analysis of offered betting lines to sports bettors.
ghannam80
I am working in the payments domain where we provide card processing, issuing and acquiring solutions. Unfortunately no Elixir till now as it is mainly Java solutions plus oracle/SQL server databases which make introducing Elixir a little bit harder as no commercial support for PostgreSQL in the market for critical service
cevado
since I’ve started working with Elixir i’ve already worked on a few industries:
the first 2 were brazilian companies, that i’m not sure still uses elixir to this day, but all the other ones were US companies that i’m sure still works with elixir.
cmo
Industrial automation, mostly for underground coal mines. I have an app that connects to SCADA for reporting, reads machine data for replaying machine operation, and various other things. It is mostly Elixir, with a bit of F# and C# where it is needed.
nbw
At the moment the restaurant industry managing reservations mostly. The elixir app is basically a glorified event processor (receiving and sending events), which makes it a good candidate for Elixir b/c of OTP and the concurrency handling.
I’ve worked on Elixir apps at other companies where Elixir was chosen because it provides a nice developer experience, rather than the primitives of the language (OTP, etc) being a good fit for the specific problem. Those apps were effectively CRUD apps and I could see swapping out Phoenix for Rails (as an example) and reaching a similar result (and probably having access to a bigger developer pool).
I’d be curious to hear from others working with Elixir why it’s a good/bad fit for whatever you’re working on!
leifericf
I returned to the games industry in January 2024
Updated my profile now.
We’re mainly using C++, C#, Lua, and Go right now.
manhvu
I’m working in the sport and travel industry. I have previously worked with Erlang (telecom systems), Go, Delphi (security software) before.
Currently, I work with Elixir, Dart(Flutter).
I chose to work with Elixir because it allows me to natively integrate ML/AI (Nx and other libs) without relying to Python. I also have extensive experience with Erlang OTP. For me, Elixir is the best fit when building full stack, realtime and distributed system. I love how Elixir handles DSLs.
From my point of view, Elixir is the best choice for small teams (or solo developers) build complete systems.
AstonJ
It’s awesome to see Envy Labs still going strong! When I first got into Ruby and Rails they were one of the biggest Ruby shops around - great to see them in Elixirland too now! For those who don’t know Envy Labs were also the team behind CodeSchool, which Pluralsight bought.
Maybe you could introduce Elixir in different areas of the company?
Nice, what has been your most enjoyable and which did you think suited Elixir the most?
I imagine that’s quite a unique sector to be in now. Wales had a lot of coal mines but pretty much all of them have been decommissioned. Funny thing is now we export over 50% of our green electricity to England! And they even drowned a village so that it could supply water for an English town. Grrr.
Great question! I pinched it for another thread: What are you working on and why do you think Elixir is a good/bad fit for it?
Oh wow! Try and get them to use Elixir?
We already know SquareEnix use Elixir in some sort of capacity so that could be worth mentioning to them?
That’s great to hear! <3
Have you seen you can make Android apps with Swift now? Reckon you might drop Flutter for it?
cmo
Underground coal here is the higher quality steel making coal. I think there is a little bit of thermal happening in the open cuts but it is not as financially lucrative as it once was.
manhvu
I will try Swift in the near future. Currently, Flutter is good enough, but it has some downsides. Async programming is simple in theory but not in practice. Managing the state of widgets is very difficult (if you don’t use other libraries). Making a run isolated (like an Elixir process) to achieve concurrency is quite complicated.