michael_teter
Hi All.
I have experience with multiple languages and experience with Rails framework, but I don’t yet know anything about Elixir.
If my immediate need is to build a new webapp, and I intend to try with Phoenix (given its positive reviews), is it important for me to first learn Elixir? Or is it easy enough to pickup along the way with Phoenix tutorials?
Thanks in advance!
Trending in Discussions
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hubertlepicki
Do learn Elixir first. It is not Ruby, nor object oriented language.
The Phoenix framework will be easier to pick up once you know Elixir idioms. Iti s also very similar to Ruby. But you will use it better way if you know how Elixir and OTP, umbrella apps work etc.
Edit: also, I found a good way is to build a simple API first to get a feeling of the language/tools, rather than starting with a big project.
krapans
I did in this order.
sotojuan
Please learn Elixir first. Phoenix is not Rails—it’s just a web server with some conveniences. To really take advantage of it, learn the language first and then some OTP.
Do you really need to build a web app now? A week or half a week or learning Elixir will pay off.
outlog
agree with all the others.
I would recommend going through the elixirkoans.io, after you have read up on elixir at elixirschool etc. - gets you through a lot of the syntax.
michael_teter
Fair enough. I have some functional experience with Clojure, so hopefully I can ramp up on Elixir in a week or less. Unfortunately I do have a time sensitive project to do now, and I’m really wanting to not fall back into the old pattern of just using the tools I know (but wish to break free from
).
Thanks for the suggestions!
AstonJ
We’re very lucky to have some really well written books so definitely check them out
Also don’t forget you can get 25% off both Programming Elixir and Programming Phoenix via your control panel on our competition sites (we are giving away a copy of each per month).
As many have pointed out, Elixir and Phoenix while may look familiar if you know Ruby and Rails, but under the hood they are quite different
OvermindDL1
Oh if you have good Clojure experience then although the syntax here is significantly different you will pick up the idioms very quickly. You might even be able to start with phoenix and elixir concurrently without much issue.
Just keep in mind, Phoenix is mostly just a set of plugs, nothing is magical, feel free to look in its source code to see how anything is done.
michael_teter
Sorry, I’m not clear how to exercise the discount on pragprog.com. I’m new here, so I don’t know what the competition sites are…
AstonJ
Here ya go
sotojuan
Here’s a really good example of why knowing the language well pays off:
https://redd.it/5qsquu
See the first answer.