hariharasudhan94

hariharasudhan94

I would like to know what is the best IDE for elixir development?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

agustif

agustif

So the editor easily got out of control and I wanted to remember to persist this data so there’s a public gist on it:

hariharasudhan94

hariharasudhan94 OP

thanks man , i prefer to use atom and VSCode

agustif

agustif

Gotta say, I ended up discovering proton-mode package for atom, which wipes out your atom config and loads a kind of spacemacs, which is been perfect for me because solves 2 problems:

  • Atom likes to crash, too much, even on a crazy Hackintosh setup which can handle like 100 open tabs on chrome lol.
  • I want to learn vim/spacemacs for productivity, but the terminal-based counterparts are to terse for me to learn. being able to mix and match my already learned OS/App shortcuts/ux, but at the same time have vim mode-plus (i for insert, etc) and space-macs like for shortcuts (I ended up editing my .proton file to add some extensions I wanted and change theming and Editor settings)

Check it out on GitHub proton-mode

gif proton-mode

My ~/.proton ended up looking something like this:

:tools/git
:tools/linter
:tools/bookmarks
:tools/build
:tools/minimap
:tools/expose
:tools/terminal
:tools/todo

:lang/markdown
:lang/javascript
:lang/elixir
:lang/html
:lang/css
:lang/json

:pigments
:dash
:autocomplete-paths
:atom-clock
:autocomplete-project-paths
:symbols-tree-nav
:linter-write-good
:language-generic-config
:enhanced-tabs
:indent-guide-improved
:tree-view-autoresize
:markdown-writer
:tree-view-git-status
:undo-tree
:fold-lines

cleverlemming

cleverlemming

I just use TextMate with the Elixir bundle.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Also see this thread:

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

From that poll, it’s kinda hidden because of some semi-separation in the vim community, but if you add up: vim: 14%, spacemacs evil: 12%, neovim: 7%, macvim: 2%, it looks like over 1/3 of the respondents to that poll use vim-based keystrokes.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Yeah, there was a little debate on whether to count SpaceMacs (Evil mode) as Vim or Emacs.

Atom 24%
Vim and derivatives 23%
Vim and derivatives AND SpaceMacs (vim mode) 45%

Emacs 5%
Emacs and SpaceMacs (emacs mode) 7%
Emacs and both SpaceMacs modes 19%

Either way there’s no denying how popular Vim and it’s keystrokes are - almost half of users prefer it.

scottyweeks

scottyweeks

Obviously couldn’t speak to the best one but I’ve been deep in Emacs for the last fifteen years and other than a few small indentation foibles (some stuff with Ecto.Query) elixir-mode is pretty great. For Elixir (and Erlang) especially I recommend using rainbow-mode as well which colors all nested delimiters slightly differently making it a lot nicer on the eyes when looking at the tail end of a deeply nested literal.

adolfont

adolfont

VSCode is much lighter than Atom on my Linux Mint.

jos-b

jos-b

I use Neovim personally. It’s not an IDE, it’s an editor, but with the plugins available (as someone has posted above), I think it is definitely comparable.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews