2020 MOTYs and our 5th birthday update!

Welcome to another update!

What an amazing 5 years we’ve had!! It’s been great seeing Elixir go from strength to strength and how friendships and the community has flourished over the years - community spirit is vital to open source languages like Elixir, and we think you’ve done Elixir proud!

If you’re new to the community, welcome, and just to give you an idea of how far we’ve come and how fast Elixir has been growing, in the forum’s first year we served just over 1M pages for the entire year, now, we’re serving a million a month :sunglasses:

We’re now also receiving around 300,000 queries a month just from our top ten traffic sources (which are primarily search engines). Just imagine having to deal with 10,000 queries a day without a forum and via something like a chat based channel - and not just sporadicly or on a busy day but every single day of every week throughout the entire year. It would be untenable, and yet it’s something we do here almost silently: every 15 minutes we help answer around a hundred queries :icon_eek: :003:

Everyone’s contributions have helped get the forum where it is - from those asking questions to all of you answering them, alongside our mods and other members at trust level 3 and higher helping ensure everything is of the highest possible quality so that it is easily indexable by search engines and a pleasure to browse for our regulars. Everything everyone does adds something of value - even when it might not be obvious - so if you participate on the forum in a positive manner, well done each and every one of you! :purple_heart:

Let’s move on to our (belated!) birthday celebrations! :partying_face:

5th Birthday Giveaways!

To help us celebrate our 5th birthday, some of our friends are giving away some amazing prizes!

All you have to do to be in with a chance to win is to simply comment in this thread!

The winners will be chosen randomly one week from today! And if you don’t win, don’t worry - you can get money off the above with the following codes:

• $20 off Build a Cryptocurrency Dashboard with Elixir and Phoenix LiveView course with coupon code ‘ELIXIRFORUM’ (valid until 1st June)
  • 10% off ElixirCasts for life with coupon code ‘elixirforum’
  • 35% off PragProg ebooks with coupon code ‘devtalk.com
  • 20% off any Pragmatic Studio course with coupon code ‘devtalk.com

2020 Members of the Year!

With over 16k members, 22k threads and 200K posts the selection process isn’t as easy as it used to be - but this just goes to show how the community has grown :023:

This year we’ve selected based on:

• 20 members with most accepted answers
  • 10 most active members
  • 10 most ‘liked’ members
  • 10 based on a combination of accepted answers and general activity

Everyone who was nominated via PM has also been included too :003:

@Aetherus

@al2o3cr

@aseigo

@axelson

@baldwindavid

@benwilson512

@chouzar

@chulkilee

@cmkarlsson

@danschultzer

@derek-zhou

@dimitarvp

@dorgan

@egze

@Eiji

@eksperimental

@Exadra37

@Fl4m3Ph03n1x

@fuelen

@gregvaughn

@hauleth

@hubertlepicki

@ityonemo

@jdumont

@kip

@kokolegorille

@Kurisu

@LostKobrakai

@lpil

@lucaong

@lud

@Maxximiliann

@mindok

@mudasobwa

@Nicd

@NobbZ

@outlog

@OvermindDL1

@Owens

@Qqwy

@sanswork

@sasajuric

@sb8244

@sfusato

@shanesveller

@sorentwo

@tfwright

@voltone

@wojtekmach

@akoutmos

@cnck1387

Well done all of you!! As a thank you we have a prize for you; a PragProg or Manning eBook! Please click below for details on how to claim your prize.

If you are listed above please click here for details on how to claim your prize.

Since we have 25 PragProg ebooks and 25 Manning ebooks, please PM @AstonJ with your first choice along with a second choice with a book from the other publisher (so one choice of a PragProg book and another of a Manning book). Please also include your full name, country of residence and email address. Please do this within two weeks - if we don’t hear from you by then we’ll assume you are happy for the book to be given to someone else, in which case we we select some runners up.

In our eyes you’re all winners and in fact many of our initiatives, schemes and prizes are designed in such a way so that you all benefit even if you don’t directly win anything yourself: more knowledge in the hands of the community helps raise the collective knowledge base of the community and this benefits us all, from things like better answers to your questions, more polished libraries and tools, etc.

What’s in store for us in the next 5 years?

And what have been your own highlights from the past 5? Please let us know in the comments below! Perhaps you’d like to thank someone in particular who was/wasn’t included in our MOTYs? Or maybe there’s thread or post that made your day or helped something ‘click’? We’d love to hear about it!

From us on the forum we hope you’ve enjoyed being part of the community and we hope you like what we’ve been doing. We’re not resting on our laurels and plan to continue evolving and expanding and we really can’t wait to see what the next 5 years bring - with an amazing community, and cool projects like Phoenix, Nerves, Scenic, Nx, Lumen, Pelemay and many more - we just know it’s going to be somewhere awesome!

Thank you all for helping make it all possible and for being the beating heart of our community :049:

38 Likes

For me, the community is the best feature of Elixir. I already mentioned it in another topic. I feel really good here on the forum and also when developing. Thats a great achievement for Jose and all people involved.

I also would like to give a honorable mention to @akoutmos who I already perceived as a very nice guy, but after contacting him with my questions about PromEx I was overwhelmed by his helpfulness. :+1:

To another great 5 years with Elixir! Cheers! :slight_smile: :beer:

19 Likes

Wow, and here I thought your regular giveaways (through which I’ve won more books than I’ve had time to read) were generous!

6 Likes

I look forward to checking this forum at least once (usually several times) a day to see what’s new and see what others are working on etc. This community is definitely one of, if not THE best I’ve ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

I’d also like to congratulate all of the winners listed above. You all take the time to help others and make this such a great place to be.

Thank you!

13 Likes

Thanks for the kind words Stefan!! It was great chatting with you and I am glad that I was of help :slight_smile:.

Congrats to all of the 2020 members of the year and here’s to the next five years :beers:!!

14 Likes

Thank you for the prize and for all your hard work!

6 Likes

Being listed alongside people such as Saša, OvermindDL1, Ben Wilson and others is truly an honor. :slight_smile: Thank you so much. This is a lovely community and I’ve had fun helping people.

Congrats on the 5 years! :tada:

18 Likes

Elixir wouldn’t be the same without this forum! :heart:

10 Likes

I have not seen this one coming :icon_surprised:

And when I saw the notification for this I was like… why the heck am I being notified for this topic :thinking:

It took me some seconds to realize that I had to search for my name in the winners :grinning:

I am really honored to have been nominate and won this honor alongside with such important members of this community :heart:

8 Likes

Wow I am really honored to be a member of the year! Thanks so much to the forum maintainers for taking good care of this online space, and thanks to the community for all the Elixir goodness.

I wish that in the years to come the Elixir community manages to grow further not only in numbers, but also in variety of people.

6 Likes

That’s awesome Štefan - and since you were the first to post I’ll take that as a late nomination :lol: I’ve added Alexander to the list of MOTY’s! :003:

@akoutmos please see the instructions in the first post on how to claim your prize :blush:

8 Likes

Wowzers!! I am honored to be on such a prestigious list :pray: Thanks for the nomination @stefanluptak :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Amazing!
I’m a newcomer and the forum helps me a lot. Hoping I can contribute to our community in the near future
Thanks for all :heart:

5 Likes

What a great community. Happy to be here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Like the others, I’m surprised and honoured. I love this forum for being so welcoming and warm.

There really isn’t another developer community, forum or resource quite like this place, across any language I’ve used. The depth of knowledge here and how willingly it’s shared is truly unique, and that’s all down to the hard work of @AstonJ and every one else that helps look after this place. So…let me add my thank you to the chorus!

4 Likes

Another great year! Congratulations all!

6 Likes

When I joined the Elixir community, I was very impressed by its welcoming nature and kind atmosphere. Now, 2.5 years later, I’m even more impressed since we were able to keep this level of kindness and helpfulness even though the community grew at an unfathomable rate! Thank you all very much and carry on being awesome! :blush:

6 Likes

Congrats on the 5 years!
I love this community!

4 Likes

Congratulations on an amazing 5 years!

This forum has been the first place I look when I have any Elixir related question.

When you’re coming to a new language, like I was last year, it’s very helpful to have a great community that shares knowledge freely. This forum and its members are definitely that.

3 Likes

Elixir has had a substantial influence on my quality of life. This forum has been a source of guidance, hope and inspiration. Thank you and keep up the good work!

4 Likes