matt-savvy
Now that the compiler is giving us some reporting about type mismatches, I’m wondering about people’s use of Dialyzer.
For anyone on Elixir 1.19+ who was already using Dialyzer:
- Yes, and getting value from it
- Yes, but not seeing the value from it
- No longer using it
- We use it at work but I don’t use it on my own projects
0
voters
Edit: Added Poll
Trending in Polls
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
michallepicki
Before Elixir typechecker gets its function type annotations syntax, the main reason to still use Dialyzer is to be able to document interfaces with argument and return types, and have these contracts (at least partially) checked by Dialyzer
belaustegui
I use type specs in my personal projects and at work, but only as an additional piece of documentation.
Dialyzer is not present to validate this. In my experience it has never provided much value (never found a bug that was actually causing trouble) and requires a lot of handholding.
I hope that once the native Elixir type annotation syntax is released, it will be reasonably easy to convert from the current typespecs with some LLM assitance.
ChaseGilliam
We use it, but I’ve wrapped incremental dialyzer from OPT26 into a new library assay | Hex that is much faster in CI. It also has slightly more readable errors/diffs. It may go away as Elixir’s own type checking improves, but there are still a lot of places where dialyzer uncovers real issues.
dimitarvp
I do use it and get value out of it but it’s mostly about stale function contracts. On the rare occasion it also surfaces a possibility for a function raise instead of returning its contractual values i.e. the puzzling “function X has no local return” message.
Those two are valuable enough on their own so I still use Dialyzer.