DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

There are 3 main formatters for Erlang which you can use from the command-line,

Visual Studio Code’s extension called Erlang Formatter uses these formatters to format Erlang code on save or when the shortcut keys combination is pressed which is Shift + Alt + F on Windows, Shift + Option + F on Mac and Ctrl + Shift + I on Linux.
(Note: the erlang extension also tries to format Erlang code, but it wasn’t working for me, and it doesn’t have any setting to set the desired formatter).

Following were the steps I used to make it work (all the settings and instructions can be found at Github READMEs of Erlang Formatter for VSCode and rebar3_format, and the Getting Started Page of rebar3, but I’m trying to make it a tiny bit less confusing than how I found it).

  1. Install rebar3:
    If you already have Elixir installed, chances are that there is a rebar3 binary somewhere in that installation. Mine was at ~/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.10.4-otp-23/.mix/rebar3 as I use asdf for version management. In that case you can run the following command, replacing the path with the path to rebar3 on your machine, or can go to the directory where rebar3 is located and run as ./rebar3.
    → ~/.asdf/installs/elixir/1.10.4-otp-23/.mix/rebar3 local install

    Then add export PATH=$PATH:~/.cache/rebar3/bin to your .bashrc or .zshrc. And after that run the second command as,
    → rebar3 local upgrade
    (this time you don’t need to add ./ or the complete path to the command, as rebar3 (the new copy) is already installed to ~/.cache/rebar3/lib and is added to the path).

    Alternatively you can run the following commands to install from sorce.
    → git clone https://github.com/erlang/rebar3.git
    → cd rebar3
    → ./bootstrap
    → ./rebar3 local install
    Don’t forget to add export PATH=$PATH:~/.cache/rebar3/bin to your .bashrc or .zshrc.

  2. Create a rebar.config file under ~/config/rebar3/ or simply run the following comand in the terminal.
    → code ~/.config/rebar3/rebar.config
    which will open a rebar.config file under ~/.config/rebar3/ in vscode.
    Add the format configuration to this file. You can find the configuration options at the rebar3_format README at Github.
    Following is my rebar.config (notice the comments).

{plugins, [rebar3_format]}.
{format, [
    % {files, ["src/*.erl", "include/*.hrl", "test/*.erl"]},
    {files, ["**/*.erl"]},
    {formatter, default_formatter},
    {options, #{
        % paper => 100,
        % inline_qualified_function_composition => true,
        % inline_simple_funs => true,
        % inline_items => all,
        % inline_attributes => all,
        % inline_expressions => true,
        inline_clause_bodies => true
    }}
]}.
  1. Install the VSCode extension Erlang Formatter, if not installed already, and add the following settings to your settings.json.
  "[erlang]": {
    "editor.tabSize": 4,
    "editor.defaultFormatter": "szTheory.erlang-formatter",
    "editor.formatOnSave": true
  },
  "erlangFormatter.formatter": "rebar3_format",

I wanted to have a 2 spaces tab size for Erlang, but looks like it’s a setting of rebar3_format which can’t be overridden, so I set it to 4 spaces in the editor too, so that the indent guides don’t look off.

(Note: feel free to edit this post).


Posted via Devtalk (see this thread for details).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Blog Posts Top

zorn
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
ryanzidago
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
pckrishnadas88
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New
tomazbracic
Secure boot and a verified root filesystem on an STM32MP157F-DK2 - with Nerves of course Four links of an authenticated boot chain on an ...
New
UlfAnger
Hi all, I’ve built a small demo app to understand what an “AI agent” actually is under the hood, and to show it with Elixir’s own tools ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews