Lotoen

Lotoen

Hello, I am currently using Elixir 1.18.4 and OTP 27 with Linux Mint 22.3 - Cinnamon 64-bit as my operating system. I came across this error on Vscode regarding Elixir LS, about how it’s crashed 5 times due to a supposed function clause error.

2026-06-09 19:18:11.366 [error] ** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in IO.chardata_to_string/1    
2026-06-09 19:18:11.366 [error]     
2026-06-09 19:18:11.366 [error]     The following arguments were given to IO.chardata_to_string/1:
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]         # 1
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]         nil
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     Attempted function clauses (showing 2 out of 2):
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]         def chardata_to_string(+string+) when -is_binary(string)-
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]         def chardata_to_string(+list+) when -is_list(list)-
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     (elixir 1.18.4) lib/io.ex:710: IO.chardata_to_string/1
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     (elixir 1.18.4) lib/file.ex:177: File.regular?/2
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     (mix 1.18.4) lib/mix/tasks/loadconfig.ex:41: Mix.Tasks.Loadconfig.load_default/0
2026-06-09 19:18:11.368 [error]     (mix 1.18.4) lib/mix/task.ex:495: anonymous fn/3 in Mix.Task.run_task/5
2026-06-09 19:18:11.368 [error]     /home/lotoen/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.31.0/elixir-ls-release/installer.exs:373: anonymous fn/7 in ElixirLS.Mix.install/2
2026-06-09 19:18:11.368 [error]     (elixir 1.18.4) lib/file.ex:1665: File.cd!/2
2026-06-09 19:18:11.368 [error]     /home/lotoen/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.31.0/elixir-ls-release/installer.exs:370: ElixirLS.Mix.install/2
2026-06-09 19:18:11.368 [error]     /home/lotoen/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.31.0/elixir-ls-release/installer.exs:617: ElixirLS.Installer.install/12026-06-09 19:18:11.366 [error] ** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in IO.chardata_to_string/1    
2026-06-09 19:18:11.366 [error]     
2026-06-09 19:18:11.366 [error]     The following arguments were given to IO.chardata_to_string/1:
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]         # 1
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]         nil
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     Attempted function clauses (showing 2 out of 2):
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]         def chardata_to_string(+string+) when -is_binary(string)-
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]         def chardata_to_string(+list+) when -is_list(list)-
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     (elixir 1.18.4) lib/io.ex:710: IO.chardata_to_string/1
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     (elixir 1.18.4) lib/file.ex:177: File.regular?/2
2026-06-09 19:18:11.367 [error]     (mix 1.18.4) lib/mix/tasks/loadconfig.ex:41: Mix.Tasks.Loadconfig.load_default/0
2026-06-09 19:18:11.368 [error]     (mix 1.18.4) lib/mix/task.ex:495: anonymous fn/3 in Mix.Task.run_task/5
2026-06-09 19:18:11.368 [error]     /home/lotoen/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.31.0/elixir-ls-release/installer.exs:373: anonymous fn/7 in ElixirLS.Mix.install/2
2026-06-09 19:18:11.368 [error]     (elixir 1.18.4) lib/file.ex:1665: File.cd!/2
2026-06-09 19:18:11.368 [error]     /home/lotoen/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.31.0/elixir-ls-release/installer.exs:370: ElixirLS.Mix.install/2
2026-06-09 19:18:11.368 [error]     /home/lotoen/.vscode/extensions/jakebecker.elixir-ls-0.31.0/elixir-ls-release/installer.exs:617: ElixirLS.Installer.install/1

I’ve already tried

  • Restarting & Reinstalling Vscode

  • Disabling and enabling the Elixir LS extension

  • Deleting the _build folder

  • Reinstalling dependencies

  • Restarting the docker containers holding my elixir project

  • Manually running mix compile in the terminal

  • Restarting the elixir language server

So, any help solving this error would be greatly appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

christhekeele

christhekeele

Welcome to the forum!

This stacktrace tells me that your mix.exs is setting :config_path to nil, or :config_path is not set. More recent versions of Elixir check for the nil case but 1.18.4 does not. I would check your mix.exs config for issues.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Troubleshooting Top

andrewf
I’m using Postgrex in a Phoenix app to connect to Postgres. The database for my dev instance is in a local VM, with hostname jot.local. M...
New
karlosmid
Hi Parker and Shannon, First, thank you for Oban and Oban Web. They’re a pleasure to build on, and the resolver’s format_job_args/1 and ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews