interpretive_scholar

interpretive_scholar

I am trying to build a container for a new Phoenix app that I want to deploy in our kubernetes cluster. The container blows up when it reaches the `mix local.hex --force` step.

I am trying to use the following base container

https://docker.io/hexpm/elixir:1.20.2-erlang-29.0.2-debian-trixie-20260623-slim

This is the error

root@9f01ee8ee21e:/app# mix local.hex --force
=ERROR REPORT==== 22-Jul-2026::16:22:23.426455 ===
** State

machine user_drv terminating
** When server state  = {undefined,undefined}
** Reason for termination = error:undef
** Callback modules = [user_drv]
** Callback mode = state_functions
** Stacktrace =
**  [{erlang,nif_error,[undef],[{error_info,#{module => erl_erts_errors}}]},
{prim_tty,isatty,1,[{file,"prim_tty.erl"},{line,1375}]},
{user_drv,init,1,[{file,"user_drv.erl"},{line,184}]},
{gen_statem,init_it,6,[{file,"gen_statem.erl"},{line,3316}]},
{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,333}]}]

=CRASH REPORT==== 22-Jul-2026::16:22:23.427725 ===
crasher:
initial call: user_drv:init/1
pid: <0.67.0>
registered_name: 

exception error: undefined function erlang:nif_error/1
in function  prim_tty:isatty/1 (prim_tty.erl:1375)
in call from user_drv:init/1 (user_drv.erl:184)
in call from gen_statem:init_it/6 (gen_statem.erl:3316)
ancestors: [<0.66.0>,kernel_sup,<0.47.0>]
message_queue_len: 0
messages: 

links: 

dictionary: 

trap_exit: true
status: running
heap_size: 610
stack_size: 29
reductions: 372
neighbours:

=CRASH REPORT==== 22-Jul-2026::16:22:33.862193 ===
crasher:
initial call: supervisor_bridge:user_sup/1
pid: <0.66.0>
registered_name: 

exception exit: nouser
in function  gen_server:init_it/6 (gen_server.erl:2257)
ancestors: [kernel_sup,<0.47.0>]
message_queue_len: 0
messages: 

links: [<0.49.0>]
dictionary: 

trap_exit: true
status: running
heap_size: 376
stack_size: 29
reductions: 717
neighbours:

=SUPERVISOR REPORT==== 22-Jul-2026::16:22:33.865150 ===
supervisor: {local,kernel_sup}
errorContext: start_error
reason: nouser
offender: [{pid,undefined},
{id,user},
{mfargs,{user_sup,start,
}},
{restart_type,temporary},
{significant,false},
{shutdown,2000},
{child_type,supervisor}]

=CRASH REPORT==== 22-Jul-2026::16:22:33.884885 ===
crasher:
initial call: application_master:init/3
pid: <0.46.0>
registered_name: 

exception exit: {{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,nouser}},
{kernel,start,[normal,
]}}
in function  application_master:init/3 (application_master.erl:147)
ancestors: [application_controller,<0.10.0>]
message_queue_len: 1
messages: [{'EXIT',<0.47.0>,normal}]
links: [<0.45.0>]
dictionary: 

trap_exit: true
status: running
heap_size: 233
stack_size: 29
reductions: 63
neighbours:

=INFO REPORT==== 22-Jul-2026::16:22:33.885142 ===
application: kernel
exited: {{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,nouser}},
{kernel,start,[normal,
]}}
type: permanent

Kernel pid terminated (application_controller) ("{application_start_failure,kernel,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,user,nouser}},{kernel,start,[normal,
]}}}")

Crash dump is being written to: erl_crash.dump...done

Edit: it seems like the container is broken. How would I report this? 


I guess I can try some other OS to see I am getting the same error.

Any other ideas on how I can move forward with this?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

interpretive_scholar

interpretive_scholar OP

It seems like there is problem with the Elixir installation in the container. I am trying another container

interpretive_scholar

interpretive_scholar OP

It appears to be a problems with the base containers. Anyone knows how I would report this issue? Where?

interpretive_scholar

interpretive_scholar OP

So I went through all of the debian trixie permutations for Elixir 1.20.2. Erlang 29 and 28 seem broken. I found that Elixir 27 was working with trixie.

manhvu

manhvu

For new version of Elixir & OTP, I need to update lksctp-tools package & add env ENV ERL_FLAGS="+JMsingle true" (this setting make compiler runs slower) to build image (by Podman + Containerfile).

My examp script:

ARG ELIXIR_VERSION=1.20.2
ARG OTP_VERSION=29
ARG DEBIAN_VERSION=trixie-slim

ARG BUILDER_IMAGE="elixir:${ELIXIR_VERSION}-otp-${OTP_VERSION}-slim"
ARG RUNNER_IMAGE="debian:${DEBIAN_VERSION}"

FROM ${BUILDER_IMAGE} AS builder

# install build dependencies
RUN apt-get update -y && apt-get install -y build-essential git \
    && apt-get clean && rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*_*

ENV ERL_FLAGS="+JMsingle true"

...

FROM ${RUNNER_IMAGE}

RUN apt-get update -y && \
  apt-get install -y libstdc++6 openssl libncurses6 locales ca-certificates lksctp-tools \
  && apt-get clean && rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*_*

...

interpretive_scholar

interpretive_scholar OP

Thanks so much! I will give it a try :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Troubleshooting Top

karlosmid
Hi Parker and Shannon, First, thank you for Oban and Oban Web. They’re a pleasure to build on, and the resolver’s format_job_args/1 and ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews