Trending in Talks
This is a thread to organise resources while we wait for official posting of videos. I’ve committed to keeping this post updated, please ...
New
This is the follow-up to my ElixirConf EU talk in Malaga, which was mostly about the local-first problem and where sync engines stand on ...
New
What if you could build production-ready RAG entirely in Elixir? George Guimarães, ElixirConfEU 2026
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNB...
New
Failing to Introduce Elixir - John Darrington
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAH68yVnh8
Comments welcome! View the <span class="hasht...
New
Rebuilding Workflow Orchestration in Elixir: The Story of Gust - Marcio Klepacz | ElixirConf EU 2026
Comments welcome! Vi...
New
The Everything App - Lars Wikman | ElixirConf EU 2026
Comments welcome! View the <span class="hashtag-icon-placeholder"><...
New
Kafka-Backed Elixir at Scale - Anton Borisov, Piotr Rybarczyk | ElixirConf EU 2026
Comments welcome! View the <span class...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
bobbypriambodo
I’ve watched this and got confused about what the point of the second half (not Alan Kay’s presentation) of the interview was. I was hoping to get information about Alan Kay’s OOP and Erlang’s actor model from the creators themselves but I don’t think they ever talked about that… or did I miss it?
gpb
Alan Kay is one of those people I will listen to, and if there is something I don’t “get”, I assume the problem is with me.
I thought Alan Kay’s philosophy regarding his view on slogans was brilliant. His story about discovering the necessity of it while talking with Xerox executives was hilarious. Slogan-making is story-telling in a nutshell, reduced to one catchy line. He himself admits there is an element of exaggeration – it’s simply part of the game, if you want to grab your audience’s attention.
As well, the anecdotes about Marshal McLuhan were great. His classic essay on McLuhan’s “the medium is the message” is well worth checking out:
For anyone interested, a guy doing thought-provoking work in this field now is David Hieatt in the UK, formerly of the cult clothing brand Howies. His stuff on story-telling and branded-content is very interesting, and I think his ideas are well-received in Silicon Valley (well, at least enough that he’s asked to give talks at Apple and Google).
DianaOlympos
The goal was just to talk of things. Nothing else, nothing more.
ibgib
Here are a few (awesome
) videos of the Sketchpad program that Alan Kay mentions during this talk: