pierreabreup

pierreabreup

I’m trying to use worker in my Phoenix application but I’m getting the error: undefined function worker/2. I get this error when I up phoenix server (mix phx.server)

My phoenix version is 1.4.0 and my elixir is 1.7.4.

Below I pasted my application.ex, mix.esx and mix.lock
---------------------mix.lock-------------------

%{
  "absinthe": {:hex, :absinthe, "1.4.13", "81eb2ff41f1b62cd6e992955f62c22c042d1079b7936c27f5f7c2c806b8fc436", [:mix], [{:dataloader, "~> 1.0.0", [hex: :dataloader, repo: "hexpm", optional: true]}, {:decimal, "~> 1.0", [hex: :decimal, repo: "hexpm", optional: true]}], "hexpm"},
  "absinthe_plug": {:hex, :absinthe_plug, "1.4.6", "ac5d2d3d02acf52fda0f151b294017ab06e2ed1c6c15334e06aac82c94e36e08", [:mix], [{:absinthe, "~> 1.4.11", [hex: :absinthe, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:plug, "~> 1.3.2 or ~> 1.4", [hex: :plug, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}], "hexpm"},
  "connection": {:hex, :connection, "1.0.4", "a1cae72211f0eef17705aaededacac3eb30e6625b04a6117c1b2db6ace7d5976", [:mix], [], "hexpm"},
  "cowboy": {:hex, :cowboy, "2.6.0", "dc1ff5354c89e36a3e3ef8d10433396dcff0dcbb1d4223b58c64c2d51a6d88d9", [:rebar3], [{:cowlib, "~> 2.7.0", [hex: :cowlib, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:ranch, "~> 1.7.0", [hex: :ranch, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}], "hexpm"},
  "cowlib": {:hex, :cowlib, "2.7.0", "3ef16e77562f9855a2605900cedb15c1462d76fb1be6a32fc3ae91973ee543d2", [:rebar3], [], "hexpm"},
  "db_connection": {:hex, :db_connection, "1.1.3", "89b30ca1ef0a3b469b1c779579590688561d586694a3ce8792985d4d7e575a61", [:mix], [{:connection, "~> 1.0.2", [hex: :connection, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:poolboy, "~> 1.5", [hex: :poolboy, repo: "hexpm", optional: true]}, {:sbroker, "~> 1.0", [hex: :sbroker, repo: "hexpm", optional: true]}], "hexpm"},
  "decimal": {:hex, :decimal, "1.6.0", "bfd84d90ff966e1f5d4370bdd3943432d8f65f07d3bab48001aebd7030590dcc", [:mix], [], "hexpm"},
  "ecto": {:hex, :ecto, "3.0.3", "018a3df0956636f84eb3033d807485a7d3dea8474f47b90da5cb8073444c4384", [:mix], [{:decimal, "~> 1.5", [hex: :decimal, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:jason, "~> 1.0", [hex: :jason, repo: "hexpm", optional: true]}, {:poison, "~> 2.2 or ~> 3.0", [hex: :poison, repo: "hexpm", optional: true]}], "hexpm"},
  "gettext": {:hex, :gettext, "0.16.1", "e2130b25eebcbe02bb343b119a07ae2c7e28bd4b146c4a154da2ffb2b3507af2", [:mix], [], "hexpm"},
  "jason": {:hex, :jason, "1.1.2", "b03dedea67a99223a2eaf9f1264ce37154564de899fd3d8b9a21b1a6fd64afe7", [:mix], [{:decimal, "~> 1.0", [hex: :decimal, repo: "hexpm", optional: true]}], "hexpm"},
  "mime": {:hex, :mime, "1.3.1", "30ce04ab3175b6ad0bdce0035cba77bba68b813d523d1aac73d9781b4d193cf8", [:mix], [], "hexpm"},
  "mongodb": {:hex, :mongodb, "0.4.7", "7dd4e9f0dd7107fd3f0247f60b7acc21a6789ae0fafc698713b603a79dfee655", [:mix], [{:connection, "~> 1.0", [hex: :connection, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:db_connection, "~> 1.1", [hex: :db_connection, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:decimal, "~> 1.0", [hex: :decimal, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}], "hexpm"},
  "phoenix": {:hex, :phoenix, "1.4.0", "56fe9a809e0e735f3e3b9b31c1b749d4b436e466d8da627b8d82f90eaae714d2", [:mix], [{:jason, "~> 1.0", [hex: :jason, repo: "hexpm", optional: true]}, {:phoenix_pubsub, "~> 1.1", [hex: :phoenix_pubsub, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:plug, "~> 1.7", [hex: :plug, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:plug_cowboy, "~> 1.0 or ~> 2.0", [hex: :plug_cowboy, repo: "hexpm", optional: true]}], "hexpm"},
  "phoenix_ecto": {:hex, :phoenix_ecto, "4.0.0", "c43117a136e7399ea04ecaac73f8f23ee0ffe3e07acfcb8062fe5f4c9f0f6531", [:mix], [{:ecto, "~> 3.0", [hex: :ecto, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:phoenix_html, "~> 2.9", [hex: :phoenix_html, repo: "hexpm", optional: true]}, {:plug, "~> 1.0", [hex: :plug, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}], "hexpm"},
  "phoenix_pubsub": {:hex, :phoenix_pubsub, "1.1.1", "6668d787e602981f24f17a5fbb69cc98f8ab085114ebfac6cc36e10a90c8e93c", [:mix], [], "hexpm"},
  "plug": {:hex, :plug, "1.7.1", "8516d565fb84a6a8b2ca722e74e2cd25ca0fc9d64f364ec9dbec09d33eb78ccd", [:mix], [{:mime, "~> 1.0", [hex: :mime, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:plug_crypto, "~> 1.0", [hex: :plug_crypto, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}], "hexpm"},
  "plug_cowboy": {:hex, :plug_cowboy, "2.0.0", "ab0c92728f2ba43c544cce85f0f220d8d30fc0c90eaa1e6203683ab039655062", [:mix], [{:cowboy, "~> 2.5", [hex: :cowboy, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}, {:plug, "~> 1.7", [hex: :plug, repo: "hexpm", optional: false]}], "hexpm"},
  "plug_crypto": {:hex, :plug_crypto, "1.0.0", "18e49317d3fa343f24620ed22795ec29d4a5e602d52d1513ccea0b07d8ea7d4d", [:mix], [], "hexpm"},
  "poolboy": {:hex, :poolboy, "1.5.1", "6b46163901cfd0a1b43d692657ed9d7e599853b3b21b95ae5ae0a777cf9b6ca8", [:rebar], [], "hexpm"},
  "ranch": {:hex, :ranch, "1.7.0", "9583f47160ca62af7f8d5db11454068eaa32b56eeadf984d4f46e61a076df5f2", [:rebar3], [], "hexpm"},
}

-------------------mix.exs---------------------

defmodule ContentProxy.MixProject do
  use Mix.Project

  def project do
    [
      app: :content_proxy,
      version: "0.1.0",
      elixir: "~> 1.5",
      elixirc_paths: elixirc_paths(Mix.env()),
      compilers: [:phoenix, :gettext] ++ Mix.compilers(),
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      aliases: aliases(),
      deps: deps()
    ]
  end

  # Configuration for the OTP application.
  #
  # Type `mix help compile.app` for more information.
  def application do
    [
      mod: {ContentProxy.Application, []},
      extra_applications: [:logger, :runtime_tools]
    ]
  end

  # Specifies which paths to compile per environment.
  defp elixirc_paths(:test), do: ["lib", "test/support"]
  defp elixirc_paths(_), do: ["lib"]

  # Specifies your project dependencies.
  #
  # Type `mix help deps` for examples and options.
  defp deps do
    [
      {:phoenix, "~> 1.4.0"},
      {:phoenix_ecto, "~> 4.0"},
      {:poolboy, ">= 0.0.0"},
      {:mongodb, ">= 0.0.0"},
      {:gettext, "~> 0.11"},
      {:jason, "~> 1.0"},
      {:plug_cowboy, "~> 2.0"},
      {:absinthe, "~> 1.4"},
      {:absinthe_plug, "~> 1.4"}
    ]
  end

  # Aliases are shortcuts or tasks specific to the current project.
  # For example, to create, migrate and run the seeds file at once:
  #
  #     $ mix ecto.setup
  #
  # See the documentation for `Mix` for more info on aliases.
  defp aliases do
    [
      "ecto.setup": ["ecto.create", "ecto.migrate", "run priv/repo/seeds.exs"],
      "ecto.reset": ["ecto.drop", "ecto.setup"],
      test: ["ecto.create --quiet", "ecto.migrate", "test"]
    ]
  end
end

----------------application.ex------------------------

defmodule ContentProxy.Application do
  # See https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Application.html
  # for more information on OTP Applications
  @moduledoc false

  use Application

  def start(_type, _args) do
    # List all child processes to be supervised
    database_config = Application.get_env(:content_proxy, :db)
    {:ok, _pid} = Mongo.start_link(
      database: database_config[:name],
      seeds: database_config[:hosts]
    )

    children = [
      ContentProxyWeb.Endpoint,
      worker(Mongo, [[name: :mongo, database: database_config[:name], pool: DBConnection.Poolboy]])
    ]

    # See https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Supervisor.html
    # for other strategies and supported options
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: ContentProxy.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

  # Tell Phoenix to update the endpoint configuration
  # whenever the application is updated.
  def config_change(changed, _new, removed) do
    ContentProxyWeb.Endpoint.config_change(changed, removed)
    :ok
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 4

NobbZ

NobbZ

  1. Supervisor.Spec.worker/3 is pulled into scope when you do use Supervisor, that one is missing in your code.
  2. Supervisor.Spec is deprecated, you should use a tuple-spec or child-spec as described in Supervisor-documentation.
pierreabreup

pierreabreup OP

Thanks a lot for your help!

I did manage to connect to mongodb database

defmodule ContentProxy.Application do
  # See https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Application.html
  # for more information on OTP Applications
  @moduledoc false

  use Application

  def start(_type, _args) do
    # List all child processes to be supervised
    database_config = Application.get_env(:content_proxy, :db)

    children = [
      ContentProxyWeb.Endpoint,
      %{
        id: Mongo,
        start: { Mongo, :start_link, [[name: :mongo, database: "admin", seeds: ["mongodb:27017"]]] }
      }
    ]

    # See https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Supervisor.html
    # for other strategies and supported options
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: ContentProxy.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

  # Tell Phoenix to update the endpoint configuration
  # whenever the application is updated.
  def config_change(changed, _new, removed) do
    ContentProxyWeb.Endpoint.config_change(changed, removed)
    :ok
  end
end

This kind of information should be right in phx.new project generator to avoid mistakes like my

NobbZ

NobbZ

What kind of information?

Its not the scope of phoenix to tell you how to use a supervisor, thats what the Supervisor docs are made for.

I do think though, that the installation instructions of your Mongo application needs to get updated.

pierreabreup

pierreabreup OP

The information you’ve said in the message on November, 18. You are right about supervisor instructions to belongs to Supervisor doc.

However, the Phoenix project generator creates an application.ex putting inside it a supervisor code. In my opinion, if Phoenix intends to use Supervisor in your basic installation, would be useful to provide information as you said to me, even though providing a link reference to Supervisor doc.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews