catra

catra

I’m trying to use FunWithFlags.enabled? (ref fwf) inside an absinthe middleware but I got the following error:

(ArgumentError) argument error
    (stdlib) :ets.lookup(:fun_with_flags_cache, :some_flag)

Stacktrace:
  │ lib/fun_with_flags/store/cache.ex:35: FunWithFlags.Store.Cache.get/1
  │ lib/fun_with_flags/store.ex:12: FunWithFlags.Store.lookup/1
  │ lib/fun_with_flags.ex:77: FunWithFlags.enabled?/2

I haven’t tried too much. I just narrowed down where the issue is happening. I’m guessing that the middleware compiles before the :some_flag record (or maybe the :fun_with_flags_cache table) is created and then failed because there is no record/table.

This link says:

It stores flag information in Redis or a relational DB (PostgreSQL or MySQL, with Ecto) for persistence and synchronization across different nodes, but it also maintains a local cache in an ETS table for fast lookups. When flags are added or toggled on a node, the other nodes are notified via PubSub and reload their local ETS caches

So I’m guessing one option could be disable the ETS with the following config:

config :fun_with_flags, :cache,
  enabled: false,
  ttl: 900

But we lost all of the benefits of the cache.

Anyway, Any thought are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Thanks! :smiley:

Note: It doesn’t work adding the config. :frowning:

Showing Posts 1 to 4

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Can you show how you are using it?

catra

catra OP

Hi @benwilson512, it is something like:

defmodule MyApp.Schema do
use Absinthe.Schema
...
  def middleware(middleware, field, object) do
  FunWithFlags.enabled?(:some_flag) # <-- (ArgumentError) argument error (stdlib) :ets.lookup...
  ...
  end
end

I posted almost the same question in stackoverflow to cover more land.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Gotcha.

Yeah the issue here is that this function is actually run at compile time. This means that your ets tables are likely not loaded. Using the persistent_term schema backend would probably help (in that it will refresh the value at runtime), but I think this still runs at compile time to do a check.

catra

catra OP

Hey @benwilson512 Thanks for reply. We ended using an env variable in the middle function and inside the middleware module we were able to use FeatureFlags. BTW, I’m enjoying reading you book, thank you for writing it. Such a gem for GraphQL API crafters.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews