ggarciajr

ggarciajr

I’m trying to configure doom emacs to work with elixir, but the rendering in heex files and ~H sigils are off. For example, tag attributes and anything inside {} are rendered with the same color.

This happens with the catppuccin and tokyo night themes. With the default doom emacs theme, the tag attributes are rendered with a different color, but anything inside {} are treated as the same thing and they get rendered with the same color.

Do you have to do anything other than adding (elixir +lsp +tree-sitter) and (web +tree-sitter) to the init.el file?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

franciscoj

franciscoj

I’ve been checking my own config and the only other thing I can think of is to also uncomment tree-sitter module, apart from remembering to doom sync after making the changes.

ggarciajr

ggarciajr OP

@franciscoj what version of emacs are you using?

franciscoj

franciscoj

I’m using 30.2, which is the one that comes with Arch Linux Arch Linux - emacs 30.2-3 (x86_64)

katafrakt

katafrakt

There was a discussion about it recently in Discord and the conclusion was that it’s rather hard and maybe possible using polymode with some custom glue code. However, I find this slightly suspicious, as it does work in Zed and they both use tree sitter for it.

Personally, I never got it to work and stopped caring.

katafrakt

katafrakt

Update: I’m glad I wrote I gave up, because I think I got it to work now with this in config.el:

;; Add highlighting for Elixir code inside HEEx's curly braces
(defun my/elixir-ts-embed-elixir-in-heex ()
  (when (treesit-ready-p 'heex)
    (setq-local
     treesit-range-settings
     (append treesit-range-settings
             (treesit-range-rules
              :embed 'elixir
              :host 'heex
              :local t
              '((expression (expression_value) @cap)
                (directive (expression_value) @cap)
                (directive (partial_expression_value) @cap)
                (directive (ending_expression_value) @cap)))))))

(add-hook 'elixir-ts-mode-hook #'my/elixir-ts-embed-elixir-in-heex)
franciscoj

franciscoj

@katafrakt

I think that I got the original message from @ggarciajr wrong, I had indeed the same issue as him, however with your suggestion for config.el I made it work.

Thanks!

ggarciajr

ggarciajr OP

It seems emacs 30.2 tree-sitter support is limited. maybe that will improve on the 31x.

And yes, glue-code was the only way I found to make tree-sitter work properly on heex templates or in ~H sigils.

I’ll wait until the next version. I’m still evaluating if I want to move to emacs

katafrakt

katafrakt

I’m on 30.2 myself. But I think I don’t use built-in tree sitter grammars, but at some point updated them. Perhaps by running M-x treesit-install-language-grammar for both Elixir and HEEx, although TBH I’m not sure.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews