Fl4m3Ph03n1x
I always thought that the default value for ExUnit.Case, async was true. However in a recent video from ElixirCasts the author states otherwise:
Am I mistaken?
Do I need to use ExUnit.Case, async: true if I want concurrent tests?
I couldn’t find anything in the official docs:
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
lpil
Looks like it default to
falseelixir/lib/ex_unit/lib/ex_unit/case.ex at 3a3d68385ef02148136ff4b9490c70d3e6d3dbc3 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHubpeerreynders
ExUnit.Case — ExUnit v1.20.2
tmbb
It defaults to
falselike it should. Elixir doesn’t know whether your test depends on some possibly hidden global state or not. Havingasync: truecould cause some of your tests to fail in unpredictable ways which would be hard to debug.lpil
I’d prefer it to default to concurrent, to nudge us into writing code that is safe to run concurrently by default
hauleth
The problem is that
async: truedoes something different from what people may expect. Tests in single module are always run synchronously, no deviations.async: truemean that tests in given module can be ran in parallel with other modules. So this would produce unexpected results when used with some persistent storage tools, when used without special preparations, or other hard to reason problems. Instead they have chosen to “safer default”. If you want to check your code for concurrency errors then you can check out Concuerror.