jeffyzooom

jeffyzooom

Hi all,

I’ve been working on RustyCSV, a CSV parser and encoder for Elixir backed by Rust NIFs. Version 0.4.0 is now available.

The goal is to provide a drop-in replacement for NimbleCSV 1.3.0 for both parsing and encoding. NimbleCSV is an excellent pure-Elixir option. RustyCSV is for people who are comfortable using a precompiled Rust NIF to get some additional performance on very large CSV files.

The usual NimbleCSV functions are supported, including parse_string/2, parse_stream/2, parse_enumerable/2, dump_to_iodata/2, and dump_to_stream/1.

The 0.4.0 release adds stricter CSV validation, compatible encoding return shapes, Rustler 0.38, and verification on Elixir 1.20 with OTP 29.

I also ran NimbleCSV 1.3.0’s upstream tests against RustyCSV. The behavior matches across all 21 tests. Exact error messages differ in four cases because RustyCSV reports byte offsets without including the original CSV content.

I’d appreciate feedback from anyone willing to try it

Hex: rusty_csv | Hex

Documentation: RustyCSV v0.4.0 — Documentation

Showing Posts 1 to 3

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Binary chunk streaming | ✅ arbitrary chunks | ❌ line-delimited only

That’s not a correct assessment. NimbleCSV can stream arbitrary chunks using to_line_stream/1 - an API even referenced later in the same README. You just need to explicitly opt into the overhead of handling such. No need to do that if e.g. you’re already reading a line stream from a file.

jeffyzooom

jeffyzooom OP

You’re right. I overlooked to_line_stream/1 when I wrote that comparison.

I’ve corrected the README. RustyCSV accepts arbitrary binary chunks directly through parse_stream/2; NimbleCSV supports them by passing the chunks through to_line_stream/1 first. Existing line-delimited streams can go straight to parse_stream/2 in both.

Thanks for catching that.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

With respect, both your comments read like LLM-generated.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews