rahultumpala

rahultumpala

Hello! I’ve been building Typhoon, a protocol-agnostic load testing framework in Elixir, and would like to share it with you all.

I needed to load test an Elixir backend that implements a custom binary protocol. I’m quite familiar with Gatling and used it many times, but my entire client implementation was already in Elixir — reimplementing the protocol in Gatling was more work than writing the load framework in Elixir and reusing what I had.

So, with that in mind, I wrote Typhoon.

Typhoon assumes nothing about your protocol. The unit of work is a step: a plain function that invokes your client. Steps chain into a scenario. Scenarios can also be chained together to compose more elaborate tests.

Typhoon runs the load around it:

  • virtual users replaying a scenario concurrently
  • ramp up, and profiles for hold / spike / ramp down
  • a fixed number of iterations, or a fixed duration
  • setup and teardown hooks, with state carried through the steps
  • latency and throughput reported per step
  • optional datasets — feed a file through your service exactly once, or cycle it for the whole run

It works for plain HTTP too, but the point is the cases where nothing off the shelf fits.

Most of the features are inspired from my experience with Gatling, and some nice-to-have features that were missing in Gatling (fixed datasets).

I’ve been using this comfortably for the past 2 weeks, generating upto 6k concurrent connections from my local machine to the server.

If you’ve been looking for something like this, hopefully this will solve your problems.

Not on Hex yet; install from Git.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

alvinkatojr

alvinkatojr

Neat. I’ve just cloned the repo and will be poking around the code to get a look.

There are so many impressive projects coming out each week and it’s hard to keep up. But still, good work!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews