evadne
Hi all
I have some issues reading nanosecond precision timestamps in CSVs using latest explorer.
Repro as follows:
./script/ingestion_test.csv
datetime_ns
1738573413286629810
./script/ingestion_test.exs
Mix.install([
:explorer
])
{options, _, _} = OptionParser.parse(System.argv(), strict: [path: :string])
{:ok, path} = Keyword.fetch(options, :path)
Explorer.DataFrame.from_csv(Path.relative_to_cwd(path), [
infer_schema_length: 0,
columns: [
"datetime_ns"
],
dtypes: [
{"datetime_ns", {:naive_datetime, :nanosecond}}
]
])
|> IO.inspect()
Outcome:
$ elixir ./script/ingestion_test.exs --path ./script/ingestion_test.csv
{:error,
%RuntimeError{
message: "Polars Error: could not parse `1738573413286629810` as dtype `datetime[ns]` at column 'datetime_ns' (column number 1)\n\nThe current offset in the file is 12 bytes.\n\nYou might want to try:\n- increasing `infer_schema_length` (e.g. `infer_schema_length=10000`),\n- specifying correct dtype with the `dtypes` argument\n- setting `ignore_errors` to `True`,\n- adding `1738573413286629810` to the `null_values` list.\n\nOriginal error: ```could not find a 'date/datetime' pattern for '1738573413286629810'```"
}}
Surely I’m missing something elementary?
https://www.unixtimestamp.com/ agrees the timestamp is good. But it won’t parse.
Many thanks in advance
elixir 1.17.2
erlang 27.0.1
explorer 0.10.1
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
kevinschweikert
I think Explorer only supports NaiveDatetime. I made it work with this code in Livebook:
evadne
=
billylanchantin
@evadne Glad you figured it out
FWIW I couldn’t get Polars to (which Explorer uses under the hood) to parse the timestamp directly either. So your
castapproach is what I’d use too. I will throw a few more pointers out there.DF.mutate/2is nice because you don’t need to keep around the original column:There is also the
:lazyoption. It will defer the computation so that you never create the intermediate column in the first place:That option is only needed if you need to go real fast for some reason.
Also, we do have support for non-naive datetimes. But that doesn’t seem super relevant for this use case.