Aguxez

Aguxez

I have an app that downloads songs from a playlist from Youtube, I’m using Porcelain with Youtube-dl, it was working correctly with a single user but I wanted to make it for more than one user (Still kinda private, so not much people) but I thought that, for example, if the app has 10 users at the same time downloading songs it would end up eating more resoures that desired, that’s where I thought about using Poolboy, I implemented it and it works how it’s supposed to UNTIL I have to download more songs.

Again, here’s how I implemented the download queue, first you pass the playlist ID then it fetch the songs on that playlist and splits them by 10 so each “user” will be downloading 10 songs at a time, when the 10 songs are downloaded then the next 10 ones are passed to the function that downloads them and so on until it’s all done.

Now, the problem, for testing I set up the size of the pool to 10 with a max_overflow of 12. The first 10 songs are downloaded correctly but once the next songs are pushed it doesn’t do anything. I’m guessing that poolboy doesn’t know that the process is already available and can be used by someone else? I’m not sure how I could make something to notify the availability of the process, the thing is that I don’t want any songs to be lost because a process wasn’t available at the time.

This is the GenServer in charge of downloading the songs.

defmodule Palsound.Service.Downloader do
  @moduledoc false

  use GenServer

  alias Porcelain.Process, as: Proc

  # API

  def start_link(_),
    do: GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, [], [])

  def queue_and_download(songs, songs_path, thumb) do
    Enum.each(songs, fn(x) ->
      :poolboy.transaction(:worker_downloader, fn(pid) ->
        request = {:download, x, songs_path, thumb}
        GenServer.call(pid, request)
      end, :infinity)
    end)
  end

  # Server

  def init(state),
    do: {:ok, state}

  def handle_call({:download, song, songs_path, thumbnail}, _from, state) do
    thumbnail_value =
      case thumbnail do
        :no_thumbnail -> ""
        _ -> "--write-thumbnail"
      end

    %Proc{out: audio} =
      Porcelain.spawn(System.find_executable("youtube-dl"),
        ~w(-i --audio-format mp3 --extract-audio #{thumbnail_value}
          -o #{songs_path} #{song}), out: :stream)

    {:reply, audio, state}
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 2

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

Don’t pass :infinity to :poolboy.transaction That is masking whatever your underlying problem is.

I’m not quite positive enough to say “never” but you almost never want to use an infinite timeout. Ever.

Aguxez

Aguxez OP

Thanks, someone pointed that out and suggested a couple of solutions.

  1. Report it back to users telling them to wait
  2. Make a timeout really long so that it exceeds the song download length (Not really recommended, probably like a last resource)
  3. Have each worker, before downloading the song, give me an stimate of how long it’ll take to download the song and use it as a timeout so I can stimate when they’ll be free.

I’d opt for the third solution, now I need to figure out how to get the stimate.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews