abreujp

abreujp

I’ve published a new article in my Elixir learning series on dev.to exploring the module directives — alias, import, require, and use — the four tools that control how names from other modules become available in ours.

The article covers:

  • The difference between the three lexically scoped directives and the use macro
  • Using alias to shorten module names, including the :as option, grouping with braces, and nested aliases
  • Bringing functions into scope with import, with only:, except:, and filtering functions vs macros
  • How lexical scope works inside functions and what happens when imports collide
  • Opting into macros with require, using the classic Integer.is_even/1 example
  • use as an extension point and how it expands to require plus a using/1 callback
  • Putting all three directives together in a realistic module
  • Practical guidelines for when to reach for each tool — and why alias often beats import

With complete working examples you can copy into IEx, you’ll learn how these directives shape the namespace of a module and make the origin of every name clear — a big step toward reading and organizing Elixir code confidently.

Check it out:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Blog Posts Top

bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
zorn
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
nathanl
Process labels are useful for visualization and debugging. Here’s why you should use them.
New
andreasronge
What happens if you design tools for LLMs instead of letting LLM use human tools ? Wrote a blog on why and what that enables. As I see ...
New
zorn
:pencil: Phoenix’s built-in LiveView test helpers require you to hand-build the form payload and start a fresh pipe after every click. Wo...
New
pckrishnadas88
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
ryanzidago
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews