sezaru

sezaru

In my project, I have a compile-time code that can generate some warning depending on some circumstances.

To show the warning I do IO.warn(“…”).

The problem is that, with this, the compiler will happily continue even if I add –warning-as-errors option.

Shouldn’t that option make the compiler fail in this case or am I missing something here?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

garrison

garrison

The docs kinda imply that only warn/2 emits the diagnostic and not warn/1, which seems like an unfortunate overloading of the function name to me.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

FWIW, IO.warn/1 directly calls IO.warn/2:

https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/4a8d4f29ae7dd238d29f8a1a7d9607d23c3550d0/lib/elixir/lib/io.ex#L444-L447

@sezaru - long shot, but is it possible you’re running into something weird from the tail-call optimization mentioned in the docs for IO.warn/1?

sezaru

sezaru OP

Actually, the code that generates the warning is from AshGraphql, I just didn’t add that before because I thought it was unnecessary. But either way that code is run at compile time for the resource I’m creating, so I think it should count as “my code” and not as “dependency code”.

I also tried adding some other warnings to see if it would stop the compiler but they didn’t, basically I tried this:

defmodule Bla do
  IO.warn("HUEHUE")
  a = 5
end  

which generated the following warnings:

core [fly_fixes]× » mix compile --warning-as-errors                                                               ~/p/r/p/core
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
    warning: variable "a" is unused (if the variable is not meant to be used, prefix it with an underscore)
    │
  3 │   a = 5
    │   ~
    │
    └─ lib/core/application.ex:3:3: Bla (module)

warning: HUEHUE
  lib/core/application.ex:2: (module)
  (elixir 1.19.1) elixir_compiler.erl:81: :elixir_compiler.dispatch/4
  (elixir 1.19.1) elixir_compiler.erl:56: :elixir_compiler.compile/4
  (elixir 1.19.1) elixir_module.erl:477: :elixir_module.eval_form/7
  (elixir 1.19.1) elixir_module.erl:163: :elixir_module.compile/7
  (stdlib 7.1) lists.erl:2466: :lists.foldl/3

Generated core app

core [fly_fixes]× » echo $status                                                                                  ~/p/r/p/core
0

As you can see, the warnings show up during compilation, but the compilation itself finished without any errors.

Btw, I’m using Elixir 1.19.1

garrison

garrison

Oh so it does, never mind then! Usually when functions of different arity share behavior it’s mentioned in the docs (e.g. this one in the same module) so that threw me off.

sezaru

sezaru OP

Yeah.. I don’t get this, I tried a lot of different warnings and projects, I also tried with Elixir 1.18 and I still can’t make --warnings-as-errors work at all.

I’m just not sure if this is actually a bug or just something else that I’m missing because I’m confident that if it was really not working for everyone, then this would be already reported tbh.

Does this option works for you guys? If so, do you mind giving me a code snippet that generates a warning that should be triggered as an error when using this option for me to try it?

Gazler

Gazler

Phoenix Core Team

In this example, you have used --warning-as-errors and not --warnings-as-errors

sezaru

sezaru OP

Dear god, I can’t believe that was it…:sweat_smile: :joy:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews