raa-ziq

raa-ziq

Hi everyone :waving_hand:

I wanted to share something I’ve been building — NowBlind, a random chat app designed to help people discover and connect with strangers in a simple, fast, and genuinely fun way.

The idea is simple: remove friction and let conversations happen instantly — whether through text, voice, or video.

Instead of profiles, feeds, or followers, the focus is on real-time, spontaneous interaction.

What NowBlind offers

  • Random Chat (Text, Voice, Video)
    Instantly connect with strangers across multiple modes.

  • Seamless Mode Switching
    Move between text, voice, and video without breaking the flow.

  • Real-time Matching System
    Users are paired instantly with minimal wait time.

  • Safe & Controlled Environment
    Skip, block, and session controls are built in from the start.

  • Friend System
    Continue conversations later if both users choose to.

  • Ephemeral by Default
    Conversations aren’t persisted unless intentionally continued.

  • Mobile-first UI
    Designed to feel smooth and native across devices.

  • LiveView-driven Interface
    Fast, reactive UI without a heavy frontend framework.

How it’s built

NowBlind leans heavily into Elixir’s strengths for concurrency and real-time systems.

  • GenServer-based matchmaking
    A dedicated process handles random user pairing in real time, keeping the logic isolated and predictable.

  • ETS for ultra-fast lookups
    Used as an in-memory layer for things like user availability, block lists, and relationship checks — significantly reducing database read load.

  • Phoenix Channels + LiveView
    Powering real-time communication and UI updates.

  • Ecto + PostgreSQL
    For persistence and relational data.

  • Oban
    Background jobs (cleanup, async processing, etc.).

Tech stack

  • Phoenix ~> 1.8

  • Phoenix LiveView ~> 1.1

  • Ecto + PostgreSQL

  • Oban

  • ETS

  • GenServer

  • TailwindCSS + Heroicons

  • Bandit

  • Finch / Req

  • ExAws + S3

  • Goth

Supporting:

  • telemetry_metrics / telemetry_poller

  • gettext

  • jason

  • dns_cluster

  • ecto_network

  • hackney

A note on real-time media

One area I’m still refining is WebRTC.

Coming into Elixir, I didn’t fully explore the ecosystem around it early on, so parts of the media layer are not as tightly integrated with Elixir-native solutions as they could be.

In the next iteration, I’m planning to adopt more robust WebRTC tooling from within the ecosystem.

Why Elixir?

Elixir made this kind of system feel natural.

Handling concurrency, presence, matchmaking, and real-time updates is straightforward with Phoenix. LiveView, in particular, allowed building a fast, interactive product without maintaining a complex frontend stack.

NowBlind is live and evolving quickly.

  1. We jus hit 2500 signups
  2. The reason to build a random chat app
  3. The difference between NowBlind and other random chat apps

There’s still a lot to improve, especially around scaling patterns and real-time media, so I’d love feedback — particularly from anyone who has worked with matchmaking systems or WebRTC in Elixir.

Thanks to this community — it’s been a huge enabler :raising_hands:

  • Razique

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews