neuone

neuone

How would I map over something like this?

results = [
  {"John Smith", %{"twitter" => "jsmith"}},
  {"Lisa Smith", %{"twitter" => "lsmith", "website" => "lsmith.com"}}
]

Into something like this

new_results = [
  %{name: "John Smith", twitter: "jsmith", website: ""},
  %{name: "Lisa Smith", twitter: "lsmith", website: "lsmith.com"}
]

Each entry might not have a twitter_handle or website, but I still need to have those entries. Even if the values of them are blank.

I’m think I need to Pattern match to get the values out of the results?

# Pattern Match A
{username, %{"twitter"=> twitter_handle}} = {"John Smith", %{"twitter" => "jsmith"}}

username = "John Smith"
twitter_handle = "jsmith"

# Pattern Match B
{username, %{"twitter"=> twitter_handle, "website"=> website}} = {"Lisa Smith", %{"twitter" => "lsmith", "website" => "lsmith.com"}}

username = "Lisa Smith"
twitter_handle = "lsmith"
website = "lsmith.com"

And then Enum.map into a new list?

Looking for some feedback on how I’m approaching this problem.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

iex> results |> Enum.map(fn {username, map} = _tuple -> %{name: username, twitter: Map.get(map, "twitter"), website: Map.get(map, "website") } end) 
[%{name: "John Smith", twitter: "jsmith", website: nil},
 %{name: "Lisa Smith", twitter: "lsmith", website: "lsmith.com"}]

if You want to avoid nil value, you can use map get with default value.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Or perhaps more generically if the keys are variable:

defmodule Mapper do
  @list [
    {"John Smith", %{"twitter" => "jsmith"}},
    {"Lisa Smith", %{"twitter" => "lsmith", "website" => "lsmith.com"}}
  ]

  def merge do
    Enum.map @list, fn {name, map} ->
      map
      |> Map.put("name", name)
      |> atomize_keys
    end
  end

  def atomize_keys(map) do
    map
    |> Enum.map(fn {k, v} -> {String.to_atom(k), v} end)
    |> Enum.into(%{})
  end
end
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Your solution does not create needed blank keys :slight_smile:

neuone

neuone OP

This solution works. Some follow up questions:

What does _tuple mean in this context?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

it means nothing special, it says {username, map} comes from a tuple which will not be used later. It could be useful if you also want to use this tuple.

{u, m} = t is the destructuring notation

i could have used this short one without the need of it.

iex> results |> Enum.map(fn {u, m} → %{name: u, twitter: Map.get(m, “twitter”), website: Map.get(m, “website”) } end)

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Ah, good call. Here’s the update:

defmodule Mapper do
  @list [
    {"John Smith", %{"twitter" => "jsmith"}},
    {"Lisa Smith", %{"twitter" => "lsmith", "website" => "lsmith.com"}}
  ]
  
  @default_keys %{"twitter" => "", "website" => ""}

  def merge do
    Enum.map @list, fn {name, map} ->
      map
      |> Map.put("name", name)
      |> Map.merge(@default_keys, fn _k, v1, v2 -> v1 end)
      |> atomize_keys
    end
  end

  def atomize_keys(map) do
    map
    |> Enum.map(fn {k, v} -> {String.to_atom(k), v} end)
    |> Enum.into(%{})
  end
end
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

def atomize_keys(map) do
map
|> Enum.map(fn {k, v} → {String.to_atom(k), v} end)
|> Enum.into(%{})
end

When I see a map into, I am tempted to prefer reduce like this

iex> map |> Enum.reduce(%{}, fn ({k, v}, acc) -> Map.put(acc, String.to_atom(k), v) end)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews