jschaeff

jschaeff

Hello,

TL;DR: is it OK in elixir to pass large (MBytes) binary strings through function parameters ? If not, what would be a clean way to transfer this binary to the end user in a Plug HTTP response ?

Context: My program reads binary data from storage using a NIF, in a format that Elixir does not know about. Basically, this binary string has to be delivered to the end user through HTTP request. It can get quite big (10s of MBytes) and it works in my demonstrator by passing the binary string through the return of the NIF function and then passed along to the caller function which would then send it to the client through Plug.Connection.send/2

case MSeed.NIF.stream_data(conn.assigns.datafiles) do
  {:ok, msrecords} -> send_data(conn, msrecords)
end

And the send_data/2 function prepares the HTTP result (resp headers) and sends the content of msrecords, like:

Plug.Conn.send_resp(conn, 200, msrecords)

What are the impacts of passing large data through function parameters ? Are there other better ways to do this ?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

Asd

Asd

It is

None

NobbZ

NobbZ

Large binaries (> 64 byte or so) are passed by reference. Small binaries by value.

Only exception, the small binarie is a substring of a large binarie, in that case a fat pointer is passed, hindering the original binary from garbage collection as long as the substring is “alive”, thats why many slicing operations have a :copy option.

The only “expensive” action is to send them over a network.

If we are talking about large nested data structures (maps + lists) then sending them across processes might already be expensive, as this involves a deep copy!

Binaries are the only datatype that exists on a “shared” heap.

Asd

Asd

All binaries are passed by reference into a function call. You are taking about sending binaries between processes

NobbZ

NobbZ

You are right, in function calls both are passed by reference, my bad. Sending across processes is where it differs.

Though the question is literally about “function parameters” (emph mine):

Anyway, the fact that strings are fine across processes and barely increase the overhead has been made by both of our posts.

christhekeele

christhekeele

Additionally, these shared references are refcounted by processes that have ever accessed them.

So it is safe and cheap to pass them through function parameters, and safe and cheap to send them between processes, but dangerous to handle them in long-running processes as the long-lived process will cause the reference to be held, filling up RAM with your large binary, which cannot be reclaimed without manual intervention. At least not until every process that has ever handled them has died. For a recent thread on this phenomenon with detection, remediation, and other tips check out Agent keeps large binary memory despite no state .

If the process reading from your NIF is short-lived, you will be fine; if it’s a GenServer you may want to spin up a worker process on demand to do the actual handling to prevent memory bloat. Phoenix uses short-lived processes per-request so that process boundary should be fine to handle large binaries.

jschaeff

jschaeff OP

Thanks for all the answers, short and detailed ones.

Indeed, my NIF function is a short-living one, I think I’m safe here.

Again, this forum is great thanks to you all nice folks. Have a nice day !

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews