joehua87

joehua87

When using reduce in dynamic query, like discussed in the Ecto docs here, it produce output like this:

where: true and (true and e0.avg_rating > ^3)

The problems it that it make expression longer and harder to maintain test
Does anyone have ideas to reduce this to:

where: e0.avg_rating > ^3

Showing Posts 1 to 5

sb8244

sb8244

Author of Real-Time Phoenix

I’ve thought about this for a recent project but didn’t implement it, because I decided it wasn’t worth the code for SQL vanity purpose.

In your reducer function, you could case on the accumulator condition and, if nil, produce a query without the and. The benefit of using “true and” is that your reducer doesn’t need to care what the accumulator is.

I haven’t tried it but I think this would work.

joehua87

joehua87 OP

Thank you @sb8244! It’s simpler than I thought, just made it :slight_smile:

Before:

defp parse_item({compare_type, value}, acc, field_name) do
  case compare_type do
    :eq -> dynamic([p], ^acc and field(p, ^field_name) == ^value)
    :gt -> dynamic([p], ^acc and field(p, ^field_name) > ^value)
    :lt -> dynamic([p], ^acc and field(p, ^field_name) < ^value)
    :gte -> dynamic([p], ^acc and field(p, ^field_name) >= ^value)
    :lte -> dynamic([p], ^acc and field(p, ^field_name) <= ^value)
    _ -> acc
  end
end

After:

defp parse_item({compare_type, value}, acc, field_name) do
  case compare_type do
    :eq -> join_exp(acc, dynamic([p], field(p, ^field_name) == ^value))
    :gt -> join_exp(acc, dynamic([p], field(p, ^field_name) > ^value))
    :lt -> join_exp(acc, dynamic([p], field(p, ^field_name) < ^value))
    :gte -> join_exp(acc, dynamic([p], field(p, ^field_name) >= ^value))
    :lte -> join_exp(acc, dynamic([p], field(p, ^field_name) <= ^value))
    _ -> acc
  end
end

defp join_exp(acc, exp) do
  case inspect(acc) do
    "dynamic([], true)" ->
      exp

    _ ->
      dynamic(^acc and ^exp)
  end
end
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Relying on inspect’s output is awful but sometimes a fact of life. :slight_smile:

chrismcg

chrismcg

I wouldn’t use inspect here as it’s representation could change (see [1] for an example of this).

I think you could make the initial value of reduce nil and then pattern match on that rather than dynamic(true) representation.

e.g.

defp join_exp(nil, exp) -> exp
defp join_exp(acc, exp) -> dynamic(^acc and ^exp)

[1] Multi-letter sigils by wojtekmach · Pull Request #9826 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub

joehua87

joehua87 OP

Thanks :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews